For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Newport News, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's cross country team finished sixth at the 2017 Capital Athletic Conference Women's Cross Country Championships Saturday morning as first-year Lindsey Stevenson (Bel Air, Md./C. Milton Wright) led the way with her 17th-place finish.
- Place – 6th of 10
- Location – Newport News, Va. – Christopher Newport University – Lee Hall Mansion
St. Mary's Top 5 Finishers:
- Stevenson finished as the Seahawks' top runner, coming in 17th with a time of 24:35.5. She was the only runner from St. Mary's to finish in the Top 20 and was one of six first-years to do so in the conference.
- Junior captain Marisa McCormick (Prince Frederick, Md./Calvert) was the next Seahawk to finish with a time of 25:50.3 for 39th overall while first-year Kara Taylor (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) placed 41st in 25:57.7.
- Senior captain Halcyon Ruskin (Kensington Md./Albert Einstein) and sophomore Sarah Jeffrey (Catonsville, Md./Catonsville) rounded out the Top 5 for St. Mary's. Ruskin ran a 27:06.2 for 54th overall while Jeffrey finished in 27:31.3 for 58th place.
Other Top Performers:
- Southern Virginia University's Morgan Bingham took the individual title, finishing the 6K course in 22:52.5.
- York College of Pennsylvania, who ranks fourth in the Mideast region, won the overall team competition for the second year in a row as the Spartans had four runners finish in the Top 10.
- Salisbury University, who ranks seventh in the region, came in second behind Allison Schwartz's eighth-place finish.
- Third-place University of Mary Washington, who is seventh in the South/Southwest region, placed two in the Top 7.
Up Next for the Seahawks:
- St. Mary's will rest up and train for the next two weeks in preparation for the 2017 NCAA Division III Mideast Regional hosted by Dickinson College on Saturday, November 11 at 11:00 a.m. The race will be held at Big Spring High School in Newville, Pa.
Team Standings (10 Teams): 1. York (Pa.) (51); 2. Salisbury (60); 3. Mary Washington (65); 4. Christopher Newport (98); 5. Southern Virginia (111); 6. St. Mary's (169); 7. Marymount (Va.) (195); 8. Frostburg State (223); 9. Wesley (268); 10. Penn State Harrisburg (301)
Seahawk Finishers (100 runners): 17. Lindsey Stevenson, 39. Marisa McCormick, 41. Kara Taylor, 54. Halcyon Ruskin, 58. Sarah Jeffrey, 63. Melody Raynaud (28:01.0), 66. Lindsey Power (28:09.7), 72. Natalie Hussey (28:56.7), 73. Caitlyn Sarudy (29:09.9), 74. Alyssa Leventer (29:35.4), 78. Emily Lane (30:07.4), 86. Marie Lewis (31:13.9), 91. Kori Taber (32:52.9), 92. Kaitlyn Simmons (33:41.4), 93. Tara Vizzi (33:51.7)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMXC
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_xc
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks