For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Ashland, Va. – Senior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) reached a career milestone and senior setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) racked up her 10th double-double of the season Friday night as the St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team dropped their fifth straight. St. Mary's (12-13) succumbed to a 3-0 loss to the host Randolph-Macon College Yellow Jackets (12-6).
- Randolph-Macon swept the Seahawks, 25-22, 25-21, 25-17.
St. Mary's 0, Randolph-Macon 3
- Dangler, who entered the match with 1,491 career digs, collected a match-best 26 digs to pace the Seahawk defense, helping her surpass 1,500 digs for her career.
- It was a back-and-forth battle in the first set as neither side held a lead of more than three. An R-MC attacking error gave the Seahawks a 21-20 edge before Randolph-Macon won the next two points to reclaim the lead. A kill by sophomore Ellyse Sutliff (Warrenton, Va./Kettle Run) pulled St. Mary's even but two kills and a Seahawk error put the hosts ahead 1-0 in the match.
- It was another tight set in the second with the two sides trading leads. A block by senior captain Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) and first-year outside hitter Chanel Lucas (Rockville, Md./T.S. Wootton) evened the game at 14-14. However, the Yellow Jackets used an 11-7 run to close out the set and secure a 2-0 advantage in the match.
- St. Mary's never owned a lead in the third and final set, getting no closer than 9-8 before the Yellow Jackets raced out to a 15-10 advantage and never looked back.
- Senior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) led the Seahawks with nine kills while Griffiths put up 28 assists and 10 digs plus three kills. As a team, St. Mary's tallied 11 total blocks (1 block solo and 10 block assists).
- Alexis Wolfe registered a double-double of 12 kills and 13 digs in leading the Yellow Jackets to their fifth straight victory.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 13 at Southern Virginia – Buena Vista, Va. (Capital Athletic Conference match) – 2:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks