For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – Senior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) corralled a match-best 26 digs but the St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team came up short in their rally Wednesday night. St. Mary's (12-12) fell in four to former conference foe, Marymount (Va.) University (18-3).
- Marymount edged the Seahawks, 25-9, 23-25, 25-21, 26-24.
St. Mary's 1, Marymount 3
- A trio of Seahawks tallied double-digit kills to lead an offense, highlighted by 11 kills from senior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial).
- Senior captain Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) and first-year outside hitter Chanel Lucas (Rockville, Md./T.S. Wootton) each contributed 10 kills.
- Senior setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) sent out 36 assists with 14 digs for her ninth double-double of the season while first-year Julia Sledz (Bethlehem, Pa./Bethlehem Catholic) served up a match-high four aces.
- Junior middle blocker Audrey McKay (Elkridge, Md./Howard) tallied a match-best four block assists plus three kills in her first match back since August 31.
- Marymount breezed through the first set, opening up with a 7-0 start on their way to a 25-9 win and a 1-0 lead in the match.
- In the second set, the Seahawks found themselves down 22-15 before answering back with five straight points to force MU to call a timeout. St. Mary's rolled out four more points after the timeout to reclaim the lead at 24-22. Caylee Shelton pulled the Saints within one before an MU attack error sealed the 1-1 draw in the match.
- St. Mary's was in the driver's seat in the third, jumping out to a 5-0 lead and holding the advantage throughout until Marymount battled back, capturing the lead for the first time at 24-19. Two straight Lucas kills closed the gap to three but an Emily Abramaitys kill gave the Saints a 2-1 match lead.
- A fifth set was just a point away for the Seahawks, who turned around a 10-7 deficit into a 24-18 advantage in the fourth. However, Marymount won the next eight points to wrap up its 18th victory of the season.
- Caroline Hanson paced the Saints in the win with a match-best 15 kills and 19 digs.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 12 at Randolph-Macon – Ashland, Va. – 5:00 p.m.
- Oct. 13 at Southern Virginia – Buena Vista, Va. (Capital Athletic Conference match) – 2:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks