For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Middletown, Pa. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team won one and lost one Saturday afternoon in a tri-match at Penn State Harrisburg with Cheyney University. St. Mary's (10-5, 0-1 CAC) started with a five-set loss to the host Penn State Harrisburg Lions (8-7, 1-0 CAC) in its Capital Athletic Conference opener before rebounding with a 3-0 victory over Cheyney (1-5).
- Penn State Harrisburg outlasted the Seahawks, 20-25, 26-24, 17-25, 25-23, 15-8.
- St. Mary's sweeps the Wolves, 25-5, 25-10, 25-21.
St. Mary's 2, Penn State Harrisburg 3
- Senior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) paced St. Mary's in its fifth five-setter of the season with a match-best 19 kills while sophomore captain Ellyse Sutliff (Warrenton, Va./Kettle Run) contributed 10 kills and two block assists.
- First-year outside hitter Chanel Lucas (Rockville, Md./T.S. Wootton) also collected 10 kills to go along with two digs and three total blocks on one block solo and two block assists.
- Senior setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) continued her double-double streak with her fifth of the season on 41 assists and 13 digs plus four kills.
- Senior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) and sophomore defensive specialist Nicole Kreutzinger (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) combined for 24 digs to lead the Seahawk defense with Dangler notching 14.
- St. Mary's posted convincing wins in the first and third sets while the Lions picked up two-point victories in the second and fourth sets.
- Penn State Harrisburg hit .600 in the deciding set with 10 kills and one error in 15 attempts while the Seahawks eked out just three kills with two errors in 13 attacks.
- Melanie Sheaffer paced the Lions with 17 kills while Katelyn Hossler tallied match-bests of 27 digs and four service aces.
- The loss halted St. Mary's win streak at six while extending its conference skid to 12 straight losses.
St. Mary's 3, Cheyney 0
- The Seahawks returned to the win column quickly with their sweep of the season.
- Lucas led the team with nine kills and added two digs while first-year outside hitter Taylor Wigglesworth (Gambrills, Md./Arundel) notched eight kills.
- Griffiths dished out 27 assists while Dangler and junior defensive specialist Emily Benedict (Gaithersburg, Md./Poolesville) each served up four aces.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 25 at Trinity (D.C.) – Washington, D.C. – 7:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks