For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Towson, Md. – Outside hitters Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) and Taylor Wigglesworth (Gambrills, Md./Arundel) posted double-digit kill efforts in leading the St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team to their sixth win in a row. The Seahawks (9-4) notched a 3-1 road win over the Goucher College Gophers (6-6) Friday night.
- St. Mary's defeated the Gophers, 25-19, 25-19, 23-25, 25-15.
St. Mary's 3, Goucher 1
- Kelley rolled to her seventh double-figure kill performance of the season with 14 kills, added five digs while Wigglesworth picked up a dozen kills and contributed a pair of digs.
- Senior setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) collected her fourth double-double of the season with 32 assists and 10 digs plus three kills.
- Senior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) led the defense once again with 24 digs and three service aces while sophomore defensive specialist Nicole Kreutzinger (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) tallied a season-best 13 digs and a career-high five aces.
- Kreutzinger and Dangler combined for eight aces as St. Mary's recorded a season-best 15 aces for the second time this season.
- The Seahawks earned an early 10-8 lead in the first set before Goucher responded with a 7-3 run to take over the lead and force a St. Mary's timeout. SMCM regrouped and used a 12-4 run to reclaim the lead and grab the 1-0 advantage.
- St. Mary's never trailed in the second set and came up with another 25-19 victory and a 2-0 lead in the match.
- The Gophers avoided the sweep with a come-from-behind 25-23 triumph in the third. A Wigglesworth kill put St. Mary's ahead 21-20 but the hosts answered back with four straight points, including two kills from Greta Coss, to regain the lead before a Coss kill sealed the deal and forced a fourth set.
- The Seahawks jumped out to an 18-8 lead in the fourth and then scored the final three points of the set for the match win behind two kills from senior captain Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park).
- Coss finished with a match-best 16 kills and 11 digs to lead the Gophers.
- The Seahawks stretch the win streak to six straight with tonight's win while halting Goucher's streak at two wins.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 22 at Penn State Harrisburg (6-7) – Middletown, Pa. – 11:00 a.m.
- Sep. 22 vs. Cheyney (1-3) – Middletown, Pa. – 1:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks