For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Westminster, Md. – Thanks to solid defensive play and a career-best 18 kills from senior outside hitter Brigid Morris (Bethesda, Md./Walter Johnson), the St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team collected their first win of the 2017 season. St. Mary's posted a 3-1 victory over Goucher College Saturday morning before losing a heartbreaking five-setter to Alvernia University.
St. Mary's (Md.) 3, Goucher 1 (25-23, 23-25, 25-20, 25-20)
How It Happened
- St. Mary's claimed the first set by closing it out with a 9-6 run to flip a 17-16 deficit as a Gopher service error sealed the 1-0 Seahawk lead. Morris led the way with three kills.
- The Gophers evened up the match at 1-1 with a second set victory as Sarah Weeden and Greta Coss each had four kills while Katie Hessenius notched 10 digs.
- Morris tallied six kills and juniors Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) and Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) combined for nine kills to help the Seahawks gain a 2-1 match lead. After trailing 8-7, St. Mary's outscored the Gophers, 18-12, for the one-set advantage.
- The Seahawks never trailed in the fourth set but needed hold off a late Goucher rally as the Gophers erased an 11-point deficit and pulled within 23-19 before a Goucher service error and a Kelley kill iced the win for St. Mary's.
For the St. Mary's (1-5)
- Morris – Career- and match-best 18 kills, .389 attack pct., 6 digs, 3.0 blocks, 2 block assists
- Kelley – Career-best 18 digs, 7 kills
- Dangler – 15 digs
- Audrey McKay – 13 assists, 4.0 blocks, 2 solo blocks, 2 block assists, 2 kills
- Hannah Krauss – 6 assists, 3 kills, 3 service aces, 2 digs
- Anna Grace Bladen – 5 digs, 3 service aces
- St. Mary's posted a .119 attack percentage for the match with eight aces and 7.0 team blocks.
For Goucher (0-6)
- Coss – 14 kills, 10 digs
- Weeden – Match-best 20 digs, 12 kills, 3 assists, 2 service aces
- Olivia Rhodes – 31 assists, 9 digs, 3 kills
- Hessenius – 17 digs, 2 assists, 2 service aces
- Goucher only hit .006 for the match with nine aces and 4.0 team blocks.
St. Mary's (Md.) 2, Alvernia 3 (25-18, 21-25, 25-16, 16-25, 13-15)
How It Happened
- St. Mary's staked a 2-1 advantage in the match as Kelley tallied 12 of her season-best 19 kills to lead the Seahawks; however, Alvernia would roll in the fourth set to knot the match at 2-2.
- The Golden Wolves took a 13-9 advantage in the fifth and deciding set but three straight errors allowed the Seahawks to close the gap to 13-12.
- Kristen Sipling then scored the final two points for Alvernia with two kills off of assists by Abby O'Donnell.
For the St. Mary's (1-6)
- Kelley – Season-best 19 kills, 6 digs, 4 service aces
- Dangler – Career-and match-best 32 digs
- Emily Benedict – Career-best 12 digs
- Mia Griffiths – Season-best 36 assists, 5 digs
- The Seahawks improved their hitting percentage to .153 while registering seven service aces and 4.0 team blocks.
For Alvernia (5-2)
- Sipling – Match-best 28 kills, 9 digs
- Emily Smith – 28 digs, 5 service aces, 3 kills
- Laura Wachowicz – 16 digs, 11 kills
- Jillian Baker – 10 kills
- Abby O'Donnell – 48 assists, 8 digs
- The Golden Wolves tallied a .124 attack percentage for the match with 10 service aces and 2.0 team blocks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 15 at Johns Hopkins (5-2) – 7:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks