For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team (5-3, 0-1 CAC) dropped their Capital Athletic Conference opener on Friday afternoon, falling 6-3 to York College of Pennsylvania (7-2, 1-0 CAC).
St. Mary's 3, York 6
How It Happened
- Senior Savannah Bergen (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) and sophomore Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) took home the Seahawks' lone point in doubles. The duo captured No. 3 doubles, 8-4, over Caroline Marderness and Jessica Sherman to send St. Mary's into singles action down 2-1.
- The Seahawks tallied wins in the bottom two singles flights.
- Bodine continued her strong day with a straight-set win at No. 5 singles. She went up against Sherman once again and picked up a 6-3, 6-3 win.
- Senior captain Chelsea English (Clarkesville, Md./River Hill) contributed a 6-3, 6-2 straight-set win over Hannah Shinsky at No. 6 singles. The win pushed English to a perfect 5-0 (1-0 CAC) overall record in singles play.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 24 vs. Penn State Harrisburg (3-6, 0-0 CAC) – Somerset Tennis Complex – Capital Athletic Conference match – Senior Day – 2:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks