For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team won their spring home-opener Friday against No. 24 Harford Community College with a 7-2 decision.
St. Mary's 7, Harford C.C. 2
- First-year Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) and junior Savannah Bergen (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) were part of the most exciting match of the day for the Seahawks. The No. 3 doubles team was down 3-6 but would battle back to win the match, 9-7, and even up the score at 1-1.
- Juniors Chelsea English (Clarksville, Md./ River Hill) and Raziela Manangan (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) continued St. Mary's winning ways at No. 2 doubles, taking down the Fighting Owls, 8-6, and give the Seahawks a 2-1 advantage.
- Team captains Marissa Romanek (Sunderland, Md./Huntingtown) and Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) dropped No. 1 doubles with a score of 8-4.
- St. Mary's would have a strong day in the singles matches where the Seahawks would win five of the six matchups with the Fighting Owls. All five wins were straight-set victories.
- Bodine picked up the first singles win of the day, 6-0, 6-3 at No. 3 singles followed by Barall's 6-4, 6-0 triumph at No. 1 singles.
- Romanek had a tough fight at No. 2 singles as she took on Fatima Murphy, who ranks 20th in Region IV. Murphy claimed the first set, 6-2, before Romanek rallied back with a 7-5 win to force a third set. Murphy would outlast Romanek, 6-2, and close the gap to 4-2.
- English and Manangan would only drop three games between their two matches.
- Bergen closed out the day for St. Mary's with a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 6 singles.
Up Next for the Seahawks
March 4 at No. 40 Washington College at 12:00 p.m. (non-conference match)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis