St. Mary's City, Md. - The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team rebounded from Monday's loss to regionally-ranked Salisbury University with a 6-3 triumph over York (Pa.) College in Capital Athletic Conference action Thursday.
St. Mary's (11-6, 3-2 CAC) swept all three doubles to head into singles action with a 3-0 lead.
Freshman Samantha Brenner (Mt. Airy, Md./South Carroll) notched the Spartans (3-10, 2-3 CAC) first point as Brenner defeated freshman Kathleen Ramsey (Dunkirk, Md./Northern), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 at No. 6 singles.
Captains Sarah Weisse (Sykesville, Md./South Carroll) and Michelle Compton (Havre de Grace, Md./Tome) each captured wins at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively, to give the Seahawks a 5-1 advantage.
The Seahawks return to action tomorrow in Frederick, Maryland with a league match against Hood College at 3:30.
Tennis Match Results
4/16/2009 at St. Mary's City, Md. (Somerset Tennis Complex)
St. Mary's (Md.) 6, York (Pa.) 3
1. Sarah Weisse (SMC) def. Katelyn Acker (YCP) 6-3, 6-3
2. Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Paige Doutrich (YCP) 6-3, 6-4
3. Monica Powell (SMC) def. Heidi Acker (YCP) 7-5, 6-3
4. Megan Logan (YCP) def. Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Stephanie Nelson (YCP) def. Colleen O'Neil (SMC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Samantha Brenner (YCP) def. Kathleen Ramsey (SMC) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
1. Sarah Weisse/Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Katelyn Acker/Paige Doutrich (YCP) 8-2
2. Colleen O'Neil/Monica Powell (SMC) def. Heidi Acker/Megan Logan (YCP) 8-4
3. Jackie Brady/Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) def. Stephanie Nelson/Caralyn Caruso (YCP) 8-6
York (Pa.) 3-10, 2-3 CAC
St. Mary's (Md.) 11-6, 3-2 CAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 3, 2); Singles (6, 1, 2, 4, 5, 3)