Richmond, Va. - The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team notched a 9-0 shutout of Division II Virginia Union University in non-conference play Monday afternoon. The Seahawks (3-2) dropped only a total of six sets between singles and doubles action.
The duo of sophomores Colleen O'Neil (Jefferson, Md./Brunswick) and Monica Powell (Rockville, Md./Rockville) registered a team-high third win in doubles action, improving to 3-1 on the season with an 8-2 win over sophomore Tenise Lampley and freshman Aleesha Woodriff at No. 2 doubles.
Freshman Kathleen Ramsey (Dunkirk, Md./Northern) moved to 2-0 on the year with an 8-0 shutout of sophomore Larenia Hall at No. 6 singles.
The Seahawks will be back in action on Sunday, March 1 when St. Mary's takes on Bowie State University on the road at 1:00.
Tennis Match Results
2/24/2009 at Battery Park, Va.
St. Mary's (Md.) 9, Virginia Union 0
1. Sarah Weisse (SMC) def. Ashley Snead (VUU) 8-0
2. Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Shacoya Patrick (VUU) 8-0
3. Monica Powell (SMC) def. Tenise Lampley (VUU) 8-1
4. Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) def. Aleesha Woodriff (VUU) 8-2
5. Colleen O'Neil (SMC) def. Lauren Puryear (VUU) 8-0
6. Kathleen Ramsey (SMC) def. Larenia Hall (VUU) 8-0
1. Sarah Weisse/Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Ashley Snead/Shacoya Patrick (VUU) 8-1
2. Monica Powell/Colleen O'Neil (SMC) def. Tenise Lampley/Aleesha Woodriff (VUU) 8-2
3. Jerilyn Rogalski/Jackie Brady (SMC) def. Lauren Puryear/Larenia Hall (VUU) 8-0
St. Mary's (Md.) 3-2
Virginia Union 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles