St. Mary's City, Md. - The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team won its third straight match as the Seahawks posted a 7-2 victory over NCAA Division II University of the District of Columbia Friday afternoon in non-conference. This was St. Mary's second win over a Division II team.
The tandem of senior Sarah Weisse (Sykesville, Md./South Carroll) and junior Michelle Compton (Havre de Grace, Md./Tome) notched their second straight win, an 8-4 victory over sophomores Jennifer Solis (Houston, Texas) and Sarah Bavar (Katy, Texas) at No. 1. The duo of sophomores Colleen O'Neil (Jefferson, Md./Brunswick) and Monica Powell (Rockville, Md./Rockville) also registered their second straight win, improving to 4-1 on the season with an 8-1 triumph over senior Patricia Ofori (Springfield, Mass.) and junior Shakira Watford at No. 2 doubles.
Powell won her third straight match with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Ofori at No. 3 singles, while senior Jerilyn Rogalski (Amherst, Mass./Amherst Reg.) is now 4-1 with her 6-0, 6-0 victory over junior Chantel Henry (Willingboro, N.J.) at No. 4. O'Neil improved to 3-1 with a 6-0, 6-1 triumph over Watford at No. 5.
The Seahawks will be back in action on Tuesday, March 10 when St. Mary's travels to Staunton, Virginia to face Mary Baldwin College at 3:00.
Tennis Match Results
3/6/2009 at St. Mary's City, Md. (Somerset Tennis Complex)
St. Mary's (Md.) 7, Dist. of Columbia 2
1. Jennifer Solis (UDC) def. Sarah Weisse (SMC) 6-4, 6-4
2. Sarah Bavar (UDC) def. Michelle Compton (SMC) 8-6
3. Monica Powell (SMC) def. Patricia Ofori (UDC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) def. Chantel Henry (UDC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Colleen O'Neil (SMC) def. Shakira Watford (UDC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Kathleen Ramsey (SMC) def. No player (UDC), by walkover
1. Sarah Weisse/Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Jennifer Solis/Sarah Bavar (UDC) 8-4
2. Colleen O'Neil/Monica Powell (SMC) def. Patricia Ofori/Shakira Watford (UDC) 8-1
3. Jerilyn Rogalski/Jackie Brady (SMC) def. No player/No player (UDC), by walkover
Dist. of Columbia 0-2
St. Mary's (Md.) 4-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (6, 4, 5, 3, 1, 2)