St. Mary's City, Md. - The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team bounced back from Tuesday's 5-4 loss to Goucher College with an 8-0 shutout of Southern Virginia University in non-conference action Friday evening.
Tonight's win also helped the Seahawks (8-3) surpass last year's win-loss record of 7-7-1.
The tandem of captains Sarah Weisse (Sykesville, Md./South Carroll) and Michelle Compton (Havre de Grace, Md./Tome) extended their win streak to seven straight matches at No. 1 doubles with a decisive 8-1 win over freshman Rachel Baldwin (Concord, Calif.) and Kayla Bridge.
Freshman Kathleen Ramsey (Dunkirk, Md./Northern) notched a 6-0, 6-0 straight set victory over Mackenzie Litchfield at No. 6 singles to bolster her win streak to seven in a row.
The Seahawks return to action tomorrow with a Capital Athletic Conference match in Dover, Delaware against Wesley College at noon.
Tennis Match Results
4/3/2009 at St. Mary's City, Md. (Somerset Tennis Complex)
St. Mary's (Md.) 8, Southern Va. 0
1. Sarah Weisse (SMC) def. Bethany Johnson (SVU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Kayla Bridge (SVU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-0
3. Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) def. Rachel Baldwin (SVU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Colleen O'Neil (SMC) def. Liz Eckman (SVU) 8-2
6. Kathleen Ramsey (SMC) def. Mackenzie Litchford (SVU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Sarah Weisse/Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Rachel Baldwin/Kayla Bridge (SVU) 8-1
2. Jerilyn Rogalski/Jackie Brady (SMC) def. Cindy Hall/Liz Eckman (SVU) 8-5
3. Kathleen Ramsey/Colleen O'Neil (SMC) def. Bethany Johnson/Mackenzie Litchford (SVU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,3,6,4)