St. Mary's City, Md. - Since kicking off the 2008-09 campaign with a 1-2 mark, the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team has won six straight, including today's 6-3 victory over Stevenson University as the Seahawks opened up Capital Athletic Conference action Monday afternoon.
The Seahawks (7-2, 1-0 CAC) established a 2-1 lead heading into singles action as St. Mary's captured No. 1 and No. 3 doubles.
Senior captain Sarah Weisse (Sykesville, Md./South Carroll) won No. 1 singles in straight sets over Tory Allinson (Bel Air, Md./John Carroll) to improve to 5-3 on the year.
Sophomore Monica Powell (Rockville, Md./Rockville) also posted a straight set victory at No. 3 singles over senior Meghan Laschinger (Baltimore, Md./Notre Dame Prep) as Powell extended her win streak to six straight to be 7-2 on the year.
Senior Jerilyn Rogalski (Amherst, Mass./Amherst Reg.) notched her sixth consecutive win as Rogalski (7-1) picked up a hard-fought 6-2, 3-6, 10-7 triumph at No. 4 singles.
The Seahawks will return to action on tomorrow with a make-up match against Goucher College at 3:00 at the Somerset Tennis Complex in non-conference action.
Tennis Match Results
3/30/2009 at St. Mary's City, Md. (Somerset Tennis Complex)
St. Mary's (Md.) 6, Stevenson 3
1. Sarah Weisse (SMC) def. Tory Allinson (STE) 6-0, 6-0
2. Maura Bernstein (STE) def. Michelle Compton (SMC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Monica Powell (SMC) def. Meghan Laschinger (STE) 6-0, 6-0
4. Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) def. Samm Rasnake (STE) 6-2, 3-6, 10-7
5. Stephanie Eyler (STE) def. Colleen O'Neil (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Kathleen Ramsey (SMC) def. Michelle Huber (STE) 6-0, 6-3
1. Sarah Weisse/Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Tory Allinson/Maura Bernstein (STE) 8-4
2. Samm Rasnake/Stephanie Eyler (STE) def. Monica Powell/Colleen O'Neil (SMC) 8-4
3. Jackie Brady/Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) def. Meghan Laschinger/Michelle Huber (STE) 8-0
Stevenson 3-4-1, 1-2 CAC
St. Mary's (Md.) 7-2, 1-0 CAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2); Singles (6, 1, 3, 5, 2, 4)