St. Mary's City, Md. - The trio of senior Jerilyn Rogalski (Amherst, Mass./Amherst Reg.) and sophomores Colleen O'Neil (Jefferson, Md./Brunswick) and Monica Powell (Rockville, Md./Rockville) led the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team to their fourth consecutive victory with a 9-0 shutout win of Mary Baldwin College in non-conference action Thursday afternoon.
Rogalski notched a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles over junior Dasha Caron (King George, Va.) for her fourth in a row, improving to 5-1 on the season. Powell improved 5-2 on the season with a 6-4, 6-1 triumph over junior Ania Grazynska (Jacksonville, N.C.) at No. 3 singles - her fourth in a row.
O'Neil also recorded her fourth consecutive win as she tallied a 6-2, 6-2 victory over junior Karen Torres (Houston, Texas) at No. 5 singles.
In doubles action, Powell and O'Neil registered an 8-0 win over Grazynska and sophomore Gretchen Domaleski (Falmouth, Va.) at No. 2 doubles to record their team-leading fifth win as the Seahawk tandem is 5-1 thus far this season.
The Seahawks will return to action tomorrow when St. Mary's makes the short trip to Washington, D.C. to take on Trinity (D.C.) University in a non-conference match at 3:30.
Tennis Match Results
3/12/2009 at Staunton, Va.
St. Mary's (Md.) 9, Mary Baldwin 0
1. Sarah Weisse (SMC) def. Brianna Aviles (MBC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Melissa Farara (MBC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Monica Powell (SMC) def. Ania Grazynska (MBC) 6-4, 6-1
4. Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) def. Dasha Caron (MBC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Colleen O'Neil (SMC) def. Karen Torres (MBC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Kathleen Ramsey (SMC) def. Gretchen Domaleski (MBC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Sarah Weisse/Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Brianna Aviles/Melissa Farara (MBC) 8-2
2. Monica Powell/Colleen O'Neil (SMC) def. Ania Grazynska/Gretchen Domaleski (MBC) 8-0
3. Kathleen Ramsey/Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) def. Dasha Caron/Erica Gaughan (MBC) 8-2
St. Mary's (Md.) 5-2
Mary Baldwin 0-2