Frederick, Md. - The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team avenged Friday's heartbreaking 5-4 loss at Hood College with a 6-3 victory over fourth-seeded Hood in the 2009 Capital Athletic Conference Quarterfinals Sunday afternoon.
Fifth-seeded St. Mary's (12-7) overcame a 1-2 deficit after doubles action by capturing singles flights 2 through 6 to advance to Tuesday's CAC semifinals at top-seeded and five-time defending CAC champions, No. 10 University of Mary Washington.
The tandem of sophomores Monica Powell (Rockville, Md./Rockville) and Colleen O'Neil (Jefferson, Md./Brunswick) notched the Seahawks' only doubles point with an 8-5 victory over senior Christine Ocampos-Barry (Bowie, Md./Bowie) and junior Danielle Hunt (Glen Burnie, Md./Glen Burnie) at No. 2 doubles.
Tennis Match Results
4/19/2009 at Frederick, Md. (Baker Park Tennis Courts)
St. Mary's (Md.) 6, Hood 3
1. Jillian Elkaim (HOOD) def. Sarah Weisse (SMC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Michelle Compton (SMC) def. C. Ocampos-Barry (HOOD) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
3. Monica Powell (SMC) def. Caitlin Erickson (HOOD) 7-5, 6-0
4. Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) def. Dani Hunt (HOOD) 6-2, 6-2
5. Colleen O'Neil (SMC) def. Laura Saad (HOOD) 6-4, 6-4
6. Kathleen Ramsey (SMC) def. Emily Schrodel (HOOD) 6-2, 6-1
1. Jillian Elkaim/Emily Schrodel (HOOD) def. Sarah Weisse/Michelle Compton (SMC) 8-6
2. Monica Powell/Colleen O'Neil (SMC) def. Dani Hunt/C. Ocampos-Barry (HOOD) 8-5
3. Caitlin Erickson/Laura Saad (HOOD) def. Jerilyn Rogalski/Jackie Brady (SMC) 8-4
St. Mary's (Md.) 12-7
2009 CAC Quarterfinals - No. 5 seed St. Mary's at No. 4 Hood
St. Mary's advances to Tuesday's CAC Semifinals at top-seeded and five-time defending CAC Champions, Mary Washington.