Frederick, Md. - The Capital Athletic Conference women's tennis season wasn't finished when the lights went out Friday night on the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis match at Hood College.
Because of a severe traffic accident in suburban Washington, St. Mary's was late arriving for its match at Hood. The teams played until nearly 10:00 p.m., when the facility lights automatically turned off. The teams were tied 4-4 at the time, and the deciding match was in a tiebreaker, which the Blazers held a commanding lead. The two coaches agreed to award the team point to Hood, creating the three-way tie for third place in the league standings between the Blazers, Seahawks and York (Pa.) College.
But after a winner was declared, forcing a coin flip to break the three-way tie, York gained the third seed, Hood the fourth and St. Mary's the fifth for the 2009 CAC Tournament, which begins Sunday.
St. Mary's (11-7, 3-3 CAC) will return to Frederick to take on Hood (10-9, 3-3 CAC) once again in the CAC quarterfinals on Sunday. Sunday's winner will face top-seeded University of Mary Washington on April 21 in semifinal action.
Tennis Match Results
4/17/2009 at Frederick, Md. (Baker Park Tennis Courts)
Hood 5, St. Mary's (Md.) 4
1. Jillian Elkaim (HOOD) def. Michelle Compton (SMC) 6-1, 6-0
2. C. Ocampos-Barry (HOOD) def. Monica Powell (SMC) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
3. Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) def. Emily Schrodel (HOOD) 6-3, 6-3
4. Dani Hunt (HOOD) def. Colleen O'Neil (SMC) 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (4-3)
5. Kathleen Ramsey (SMC) def. Caitlin Erickson (HOOD) 7-5, 6-0
6. Jackie Brady (SMC) def. Casey Miller (HOOD) 6-0, 6-0
1. Jillian Elkaim/Emily Schrodel (HOOD) def. Michelle Compton/Monica Powell (SMC) 8-5
2. Dani Hunt/C. Ocampos-Barry (HOOD) def. Colleen O'Neil/Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) 8-4
3. Jackie Brady/Kathleen Ramsey (SMC) def. Caitlin Erickson/Casey Miller (HOOD) 8-3
St. Mary's (Md.) 11-7, 3-3 CAC
Hood 10-9, 3-3 CAC
No. 4 singles match ended at first set tie-breaker due to darkness (lights)