St. Mary's City, Md. - The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team dropped a heartbreaking 5-4 decision to Goucher College in non-conference action Tuesday afternoon, halting the Seahawks (7-3) win streak at six.
Sophomore Joan Pulupa (Gaithersburg, Md./Richard Montgomery) secured the 5-4 victory as Pulupa snapped sophomore Monica Powell's (Rockville, Md./Rockville) six-match win streak with a heavily contested 7-6 (8-6), 7-5 triumph at No. 3 singles.
St. Mary's had taken a 2-1 lead heading in singles action as the tandem of captains Sarah Weisse (Sykesville, Md./South Carroll) and Michelle Compton (Havre de Grace, Md./Tome) captured a 9-8 (8-6) win at No. 1 doubles to break a 1-1 tie, defeating seniors Tanya Cooley (Arlington, Va./Wakefield) and Chloe Scott-Giry (Amagansett, N.Y./The Ross School).
Goucher established a 3-2 advantage following wins at No. 2 and No. 5 singles before Weisse notched a 6-4, 6-4 victory at No. 1 singles to knot it at 3-all. Scott-Giry took No. 4 singles in straight sets before freshman Kathleen Ramsey (Dunkirk, Md./Northern) tied the match once again with a 6-2, 7-6 (9-7) win over sophomore Andrea Stephaich (Pittsburgh, Pa./The Ellis School) at No. 6 singles, extending Ramsey's win streak to six straight.
The Seahawks return to action tomorrow with a Capital Athletic Conference match against Salisbury University at 3:30 at the Somerset Tennis Complex.
Tennis Match Results
3/31/2009 at St. Mary's City, Md. (Somerset Tennis Complex)
1. Sarah Weisse (SMC) def. Tanya Cooley (GOU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Mouna Attarha (GOU) def. Michelle Compton (SMC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Joan Pulupa (GOU) def. Monica Powell (SMC) 7-6 (8-6), 7-5
4. Chloe Scott-Giry (GOU) def. Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) 6-0, 7-6 (7-0)
5. Mara Bergman (GOU) def. Colleen O'Neil (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Kathleen Ramsey (SMC) def. Andrea Stephaich (GOU) 6-2, 7-6 (9-7)
1. Sarah Weisse/Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Tanya Cooley/Chloe Scott-Giry (GOU) 9-8 (8-6)
2. Colleen O'Neil/Monica Powell (SMC) def. Joan Pulupa/Andrea Stephaich (GOU) 8-4
3. Mouna Attarha/Mara Bergman (GOU) def. Jackie Brady/Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) 8-0
St. Mary's (Md.) 7-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (2, 5, 1, 4, 6, 3)