Norfolk, Va. - Virginia Wesleyan College was no match for the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team as the Marlins (2-0) notched a 7-2 win Sunday morning in non-conference action.
The Marlins swept doubles action to own a 3-0 lead heading into singles play.
Freshman Katie Lackler (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) remained perfect on the season at 3-0 as Lackler tallied a 6-4, 1-6, 10-4 triumph over junior Olivia Casero (Palmyra, Va./Fluvana County) at No. 4 singles.
The other Seahawk highlight was that freshman Randi Cropper (California, Md./Leonardtown) picked up her first collegiate victory with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Liz Hecht at No. 6 singles.
The Seahawks (1-2) return to action on Friday, October 3 when St. Mary's hosts Harford Community College in non-conference action at 2:00 at the Somerset Tennis Complex.
Tennis Match Results
9/21/2008 at Norfolk, Va. (Penzold Courts)
1. Imee Bautista (VWC) def. Sarah Weisse (SMC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Meredith Willett (VWC) def. Michelle Compton (SMC) 6-3, 6-0
3. Shannon Sabo (VWC) def. Monica Powell (SMC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Katie Lackler (SMC) def. Olivia Casero (VWC) 6-4, 1-6, 10-4
5. Morgan Franklin (VWC) def. Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Randi Cropper (SMC) def. Liz Hecht (VWC) 6-3, 6-3
1. Imee Bautista/Megan Crook (VWC) def. Sarah Weisse/Michelle Compton (SMC) 8-2
2. Shannon Sabo/Meredith Willett (VWC) def. Monica Powell/Colleen O'Neil (SMC) 8-4
3. Morgan Franklin/Olivia Casero (VWC) def. Katie Lackler/Randi Cropper (SMC) 8-1
St. Mary's (Md.) 1-2
Va. Wesleyan 2-0