St. Mary's City, Md. - The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team had no trouble handling Lancaster Bible College Saturday afternoon as the Seahawks (1-1) posted a 9-0 win over Lancaster Bible (1-5) in non-conference action.
St. Mary's started off the match with a 3-0 advantage as the duo of senior Sarah Weisse (Sykesville, Md./South Carroll) and junior Michelle Compton (Havre de Grace, Md./Tome) and the tandem of sophomores Monica Powell (Rockville, Md./Rockville) and Colleen O'Neil (Jefferson, Md./Brunswick) collected 8-0 victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles, respectively.
Powell and O'Neil remain undefeated in doubles action and so is the partnership of freshmen Katie Lackler (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) and Randi Cropper (California, Md./Leonardtown) as the duo picked up a default victory at No. 3 doubles.
The Seahawks did not drop a single game in singles action as St. Mary's won each flight in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0. Both Lackler and senior Jerilyn Rogalski (Amherst, Mass./Amherst Regional) improved to 2-0 in singles play as well.
The Seahawks return to action tomorrow when St. Mary's faces Virginia Wesleyan College in non-conference action at 10:00 a.m. in Norfolk, Va.
Tennis Match Results
9/20/2008 at St. Mary's City, Md. (Somerset Tennis Complex)
1. Sarah Weisse (SMC) def. Michelle Ringler (LBC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Kelsey Scott (LBC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Monica Powell (SMC) def. Steph LaPearl (LBC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Katie Lackler (SMC) def. Griffes (LBC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Colleen O'Neil (SMC) def. Epps (LBC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jerilyn Rogalski (SMC) def. No player (LBC), by default
1. Sarah Weisse/Michelle Compton (SMC) def. Michelle Ringler/Steph LaPearl (LBC) 8-0
2. Monica Powell/Colleen O'Neil (SMC) def. Griffes/Kelsey Scott (LBC) 8-0
3. Katie Lackler/Randi Cropper (SMC) def. No player/No player (LBC), by default