For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – Sophomore forward Alex Moody (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) buried a penalty kick into the lower left corner with 47 seconds remaining in the second overtime frame to propel the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team to the triumph Wednesday afternoon. St. Mary's (5-5) came away with a 1-0 non-conference victory over The Catholic University of America (4-3-2).
St. Mary's 1, Catholic 0 (2OT)
How It Happened
- Taylor DeMello took down Moody in the box at the near post and the referee awarded the Seahawks a kick from the spot. Moody composed herself and calmly ripped a shot into the lower left corner past a diving Nina Fernandez for her second career game-winning goal.
- St. Mary's posted a 25-14 (6-6 SOG) advantage in shots while corner kicks were even at five apiece.
- It was a defensive battle all game long as both goalkeepers played well and the defensive backline did their part by limiting the number of shots on goal faced by their keepers.
- The Seahawks outshot Catholic, 9-2, in the first half but Fernandez turned away three shots and both teams went into halftime in a scoreless draw.
- In the second stanza, the Cardinals laid on the offensive pressure, peppering senior captain Katie Flores (Towson, Md./Towson) with nine shots. Flores denied four to force extra time.
- The two sides, dealing with tired legs in the extreme heat, went through the motions in the first overtime period and each team fired off just one shot.
- Catholic earned three corner kicks in the final extra frame but could not generate any sustainable offense in losing its third straight.
- Flores finished with six saves in recording her second clean sheet of the season.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Moody (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Flores (6 saves, 0 goals allowed, 109:13)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Fernandez (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 109:13)
- St. Mary's moves to 19-15-4 in the series with the Cardinals, including two straight wins over CUA.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 29 at Southern Virginia (3-4, 0-0 CAC) – Buena Vista, Va. (CAC opener) – 5:00 p.m.
- The Seahawks are unbeaten in five games (2-0-3) against Southern Virginia. Last season, the two sides ended in a 1-1 double overtime draw.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks