For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Owings Mills, Md. – Senior captain Lauren Hall (Perry Hall, Md./Perry Hall) notched her second career goal and led the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team to a road win Saturday afternoon. The Seahawks (2-2-0) picked up a 1-0 non-conference victory over Stevenson University (0-4-0) for their second straight victory as well as their second consecutive shutout.
St. Mary's 1, Stevenson 0
How It Happened
- Stevenson was the aggressor the entire game, posting a 13-4 shot advantage and an 8-0 margin in corner kicks for the contest.
- The Mustangs fired off three shots in the first 45 minutes, two of which were denied by senior captain Katie Flores (Towson, Md./Towson) while the other one was high off the mark.
- All four of St. Mary's shots came in the second half but thanks to a strong defensive effort, headed into halftime in a scoreless draw.
- The Seahawks earned a penalty kick in the 65th minute and Hall converted for the eventual game-winning goal into the low right corner.
- SU continued to pepper Flores with shots but she was up to the challenge with five more stops, including two in the final 10 minutes of the game.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Hall (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Flores (7 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Keegan Caffrey (2 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- Both of Hall's two career goals are game-winning goals.
- St. Mary's improves to 15-7-1 in the series with the Mustangs, which began in 1992. Today's win avenged last fall's 1-0 loss in Seahawk Stadium.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 9 vs. Hood (1-2) – Seahawk Stadium – 12:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's and Hood have not played each other since 2011 but the Seahawks have won all 10 previous meetings since their first matchup in 1995. St. Mary's has outscored the Blazers, 52-1, in those 10 games.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks