For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Fredericksburg, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's lacrosse team, who's receiving votes in this week's IWLCA Division III Coaches Poll, dropped their Capital Athletic Conference opener Wednesday afternoon on the road. St. Mary's (4-5, 0-1 CAC) suffered an 18-11 setback at the hands of No. 6 University of Mary Washington (9-1, 2-0 CAC).
- Shots: St. Mary's 26, Mary Washington 36
- Ground Balls: St. Mary's 15, Mary Washington 12
- Draw Controls: St. Mary's 11, Mary Washington 20
- Free-Position Shots: St. Mary's 4-8, Mary Washington 6-11
- Saves: St. Mary's 12, Mary Washington 8
- Caused Turnovers: St. Mary's 2, Mary Washington 5
- Turnovers: St. Mary's 21, Mary Washington 18
How It Happened
- St. Mary's jumped out to a 5-3 advantage at 14:27 as sophomore midfielder Kate Bartholomew (Galena, Md./Kent County) capped the run with a free-position goal. Junior midfielder Caitlin Katchmar (Phoenix, Md./Hereford) scored twice and fellow classmate Ali Collie (Glen Arm, Md./Dulaney) added a goal and two assists in the run.
- The Eagles then closed out the first half on a 7-0 run to take over the lead for good and boast a 10-5 lead at halftime. Mackenzie Maguire notched two goals and three assists in the run while Allison Davis chipped in two scores.
- UMW opened up a seven-goal margin with the first two goals of the second half before the Seahawks used a 5-3 push to pull within 15-10 at 12:03 as junior attacker Sydni Thacker (Lutherville-Timonium, Md./Dulaney) finished off a pass from senior attacker Lacey Brown (Monkton, Md./Hereford) to end the run.
- The Eagles locked up their second conference win of the season by ending the game on a 3-1 run.
Inside the Box Score
- Collie paced the Seahawks in scoring for the third game in a row as she finished with three goals and two assists while L. Brown contributed two goals and two assists.
- Katchmar won three draw controls and scooped up two ground balls to help St. Mary's gain the edge in ground balls.
- Junior goalie Emma Brown (Warwick, N.Y./Warwick Valley) put up 12 saves and grabbed three loose balls.
- Holly Hudson found the back of the net six times to lead Mary Washington while Maguire contributed two goals and four assists. Kirsten Littlefield dominated draws with 10 draw controls and chipped in three ground balls and two caused turnovers. In goal, Shannon Bremer made eight stops in 54:32.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 31 at Christopher Newport University (5-5, 1-0 CAC) – Newport News, Va. – CAC game – 2:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwlax
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMWLAX
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks