For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
York, Pa. – Sophomore goalkeeper Emma Brown (Warwick, N.Y./Warwick Valley) made a career-best 12 saves Wednesday afternoon as the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's lacrosse team dropped a 14-4 decision to No. 7 York College of Pennsylvania on the road. The Seahawks' first Capital Athletic Conference loss of the season snapped a two-game win streak.
St. Mary's 4, No. 7 York 14
How It Happened
- York opened up the game with a 5-0 run as junior attacker Kayleigh Phillips (Westminster, Md./Winters Mill) sparked the run with the first two goals of the contest.
- Junior captain Megan Cannon (Reisterstown, Md./Notre Dame Prep) ended the Seahawks' scoreless drought at 15:50 as Cannon finished a feed from senior midfielder Erika Kopf (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis).
- Phillips then scored two of the first half's final three scores to help the Spartans to an 8-1 halftime advantage.
- The Spartans continued their momentum into the second half, stretching a 3-0 run from the end of the first half into a 6-0 stretch and boasting an 11-1 lead at 27:09.
- Junior attacker Lacey Brown (Monkton, Md./Hereford) found the back of the net for St. Mary's at 25:20 before York tacked on two more for an 11-goal cushion at 12:56.
- Senior captain Abbey Harrison (Easton, Md./Easton) and Kopf both converted free position shots as the Seahawks netted two of the game's last three goals.
For St. Mary's (6-6, 2-1 CAC)
- Sophomore midfielder Caitlin Katchmar (Phoenix, Md./Hereford) came off the bench to lead St. Mary's with a career-best three ground balls while E. Brown and Cannon each scooped up two loose balls.
- St. Mary's edged the Spartans, 13-12, in ground balls.
For No. 7 York (7-2, 3-0 CAC)
- Scorers (G-A): Megan Fox (4-0); Phillips (4-0); Regan Cook (2-0); Rachel Saks (1-0); Skye Slater (1-0); Claudia DiVenti (1-0); Jordan Cassella (1-0); Katelyn Cattrano (0-3); Melissa Meehling (0-1); Devin Hursey (0-1); Caitlin Rankin (0-1); Baleigh Bradley (0-1)
- Goalies: Charlotte Wright (7 saves, 2 GA, 45:52); Abby Smith (1 save, 2 GA, 14:08)
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's continues its road trip on Saturday, April 1, traveling to the Eastern Shore to face No. 13 Salisbury University in a CAC matchup at 1:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMWLAX, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut, #Unfinished
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwlax