For Immediate Release · Monday, March 13, 2017 · firstname.lastname@example.org
Salem, Va. – Senior captain Meg Gesner (Severna Park, Md./Severn) netted the game-winning goal in lifting the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's lacrosse team to a 10-9 road victory over Roanoke College Monday afternoon. The win snapped a three-game skid for the Seahawks.
St. Mary's 10, Roanoke 9
How It Happened
- Gesner finished off a feed from senior midfielder Erika Kopf (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) with 7:15 left in the contest for the eventual game-winner, capping a 4-0 run and giving St. Mary's a 10-6 advantage.
- The Maroons then rattled off three straight in less than four minutes to close the gap to 10-9 with 1:55 remaining.
- Roanoke won the ensuing draw control and earned a free-position attempt. Senior midfielder Katerina DeSimone's free-position shot was blocked but senior attacker Courtney McCartin (Ashton, Md./Good Counsel) retained possession with a ground ball pickup. However, McCartin turned the ball over and sophomore goalkeeper Emma Brown (Warwick, N.Y./Warwick Valley) gained the game's final possession for the Seahawks.
- The first half was back-and-forth as the game was tied three times and the lead changed twice. St. Mary's used a three-goal run to take a 6-5 lead into halftime.
For St. Mary's (4-3)
- Gesner finished the afternoon with game-highs of three goals and four points.
- Kopf contributed career-bests of three assists, three ground balls, and two caused turnovers while adding a goal and three draw controls.
- Senior captain Abbey Harrison (Easton, Md./Easton) and junior attacker Lacey Brown (Monkton, Md./Hereford) each chipped in two goals.
- Senior defender Haley Sieglein (Baltimore, Md./Friends) paced the Seahawk defense as Sieglein collected career-bests of three caused turnovers and two draw controls while also scooping up two ground balls.
- E. Brown recorded nine saves plus career-highs of two ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- St. Mary's edged the Maroons in shots, 22-21.
For Roanoke (0-6)
- Scorers (G-A): McCartin (3-1); Morgan Barlow (2-0); Allison Beames (2-0); Mckenna Polak (1-0); Lainey Decker (1-0); Katie Clements (0-3); Jenn Schwechheimer (0-1)
- Goalie: Victoria Smith (1 save, 6 GA, 22:36); Emma Blair (4 saves, 4 GA, 37:24)
- Roanoke posted a 10-9 margin in draw controls and an 18-15 edge in ground balls.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will continue Virginia spring break trip with a matchup at No. 8 Washington and Lee University (4-1) in Lexington. First draw is at 4:30 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMWLAX, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwlax