For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Three Seahawks scored in double digits as the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team picked up their first win of the 2018-19 campaign on Friday night. The Seahawks (1-2) earned a 51-49 non-conference victory over Randolph College (1-3) to open up the 4th Annual Dan Greene Memorial Invitational.
St. Mary's 51, Randolph 49
How It Happened
- Senior captain Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) made the first of two free throws to widen St. Mary's lead to five with 25 seconds remaining in the game. Kalyn Banks drained a three-point shot nine seconds later to pull the Wildcats within two. Mikayla Sink then knocked the first of two free throws with seven ticks on the clock to close the gap to 50-49.
- Robey connected on the second of two foul shots with six seconds to go to give the Seahawks a two-point margin. Yanessa Cabrera's potential game-winning three-pointer was off the mark and St. Mary's held on for its first win of the season.
- The contest got off to a slow start but Randolph turned around an 8-5 deficit with an 11-2 run over the final five minutes of the first quarter to stake a six-point lead at the start of the second period.
- Sink sank a triple at 8:14 of the second to hand the Wildcats their largest lead of the game, 19-10. St. Mary's responded with an 11-0 run for its first lead since leading 8-7 at the 2:52-mark of the first stanza. However, Randolph finished with a 7-0 run to head into the locker room with a 26-21 halftime lead.
- The Seahawks worked to regain the lead at 7:36 with a 7-1 run to tip-off the third quarter as a Robey layup capped the run. The two teams would stay neck-in-neck the rest of the way and began the fourth period in a 32-32 dead heat.
Inside the Box Score
- First-year guard Kelli Jenkins (Potomac, Md./St. John's College) paced St. Mary's in the win with season-bests of 14 points and four three-pointers. Jenkins finished the game shooting 5-of-9 from the field. She currently leads the Capital Athletic Conference with 10 three-point field goals made over three games.
- Sophomore forward Hallie Persell (Pasadena, Md./Chesapeake) recorded her first career double-double with a season-best 12 points and career-high 12 rebounds plus a career-best six blocks.
- Robey posted her third straight double-digit scoring performance with 11 points in addition to a career-best eight assists, seven boards, three steals, and season-best two blocks.
- Three players for Randolph reached double figures with Dominique Jackson leading the way with 15 before fouling out. Kalyn Banks put up a double-double with 15 boards and 11 points.
- St. Mary's assisted on 14 of its 19 made field goals, grabbed 11 steals and a season-best 10 blocks on defense, and committed a season-low 21 turnovers. The Seahawks shot 32.2-percent from the field.
- The Wildcats controlled the boards by a 47-38 margin but had trouble taking care of the ball with 26 turnovers.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 17 vs. Bridgewater (Va.) (2-0) – Dan Greene Memorial Invitational – MPOBARC Arena – 4:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks