For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 78, Mary Baldwin 56
- Records: St. Mary's (2-2), Mary Baldwin (0-3)
- Location: Staunton, Va. – Physical Activities Center
- The Short Story: Four Seahawks reached double figures as the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team posted their second win in a row Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's came up with a 78-56 non-conference victory over Mary Baldwin University in its road game of the season.
How It Happened
- Mary Baldwin's first and only lead of the game came at 9:46 of the first quarter as Cauy Duboise knocked down a three-pointer.
- First-year forward Hallie Persell (Pasadena, Md./Chesapeake) bookended a 10-1 run to give the Seahawks a six-point lead at 5:18.
- Back-to-back triples pulled the Fighting Squirrels within two at 4:37 but MBU would get no closer the rest of the way as it was all St. Mary's after that, closing the first period on a 10-2 run.
- The Seahawks headed into intermission with a 37-21 advantage, outscoring Mary Baldwin, 15-9, in the second stanza as both sides shot under 30% from the field.
- St. Mary's lit it up in the third as the team shot nearly 53% from the floor, including making 3-of-6 from downtown, to boast its largest lead of the game of 27 points at the 2:31 mark as senior captain Olivia Nowlin (Glenelg, Md./Glenelg) connected on a pair of free throws.
- The Fighting Squirrels edged St. Mary's, 17-16, in the final quarter but could not break the 20-point deficit.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary's hit several season-highs this afternoon, shooting 42% from the field to put up a season-best 78 points, grabbing 53 rebounds, picking 13 pockets, and notching 11 dimes.
- Persell paced the Seahawks in the win with a season-best 19 points, including tallying 15 in the first half. She also added a season-high nine rebounds.
- Junior forward Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) picked up her second double-double of the season on a career- and game-best 18 boards and 14 points while notching two blocks.
- Chaney has now recorded double-digit rebounds in every game so far this season while scoring 10+ points in two straight games.
- Senior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) contributed 13 points, three caroms, and two steals while junior captain Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) chipped in 11 points, four steals, and four assists. The backcourt duo has now scored in double-digits in three consecutive games.
- Duboise led everyone in the game with 25 points as she drained six triples.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 29 at No. 21/24 University of Mary Washington (1-3) – Fredericksburg, Va. – Capital Athletic Conference opener – 6:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks