For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's tennis team closed out the fall season Sunday afternoon. St. Mary's (1-2) dropped a tight decision to Stevenson University (2-0), falling 5-4 to the visiting Mustangs.
St. Mary's 4, Stevenson 5
How It Happened
- Stevenson jumped out to a 1-0 lead with an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles.
- Juniors Jon Gorel (Jessup, Md./Hammond) and Ron Stith (Cheltenham, Md./Lackey) pulled the Seahawks even as the duo claimed their second win of the weekend, taking down SU's top pair, Ray McDermott and Wornden Ly, 8-4.
- The Mustangs headed into singles action with a 2-1 advantage after picking up an 8-7 (7-4) triumph over junior Jack Brandenburg (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) and first-year Sam Sheats (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) at third doubles.
- Gorel's straight-set win, 6-0, 6-0 over Andre Sturniolo at No. 1 singles tied up the match at 2-2 before Ly claimed Stevenson's third point at No. 4 singles to give the Mustangs a 3-2 edge as Brandenburg retired in the second set.
- St. Mary's pulled even once again as Stith notched a 6-4, 6-1 victory over McDermott at No. 2 singles.
- Drew Ryan put SU ahead 4-3 after Sheats retired in the third set of No. 3 singles. Ryan had claimed the first set, 6-4, before Sheats rallied with a 6-3 win in the second set.
- The Mustangs captured the match following Larry Johnson's 6-1, 6-0 victory at No. 6 singles.
- Senior Jacob Bartholow (Walkersville, Md./Walkersville) took the fourth point for the Seahawks as he beat Douglas Vaughan, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 5 singles.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 23 vs. Roanoke – Somerset Tennis Complex – TBA
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks