For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's tennis team started the spring portion of their 2017-18 season against the Yellow Jackets of Randolph-Macon College on Sunday. St. Mary's (2-1) dropped its first contest of the campaign, 6-3, to R-MC (1-0).
How It Happened
- Following doubles action, the Seahawks owned a 2-1 advantage following wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles.
- Sophomores Jon Gorel (Jessup, Md./Hammond) and Ethan Garren (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) started their spring off with an 8-6 win over Randolph-Macon's Baxter Carter and Alex Hein.
- Senior captain James Loftis (Annapolis, Md./Saint Andrews [Del.]) and sophomore Ron Stith (Cheltenham, Md./Lackey) also won their match, outlasting the Yellow Jackets' Jacob Haines and Shane Berry, 9-8 (7-5).
- R-MC jumped out to a 4-2 lead with victories at No. 2, No. 3, and No. 4 singles before Gorel pulled the Seahawks within one with a three-set triumph, 6-4, 4-6, 10-7, over Haines at No. 1 singles.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 2 at Randolph College (1-1) – Lynchburg, Va. – 2:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks