For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
Chestertown, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swim team faced Washington College Friday night in a non-conference dual meet. St. Mary's (2-4) dropped a 153-52 decision to Washington College (3-3).
St. Mary's 52, Washington College 153
How It Happened
- Senior captain Kieran Broder (Olney, Md./Georgetown Prep) captured the lone first-place finish for the Seahawks by winning the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:03.11. Broder added a fourth-place finish in the 200 individual medley as well in 2:10.54.
- The 200 medley relay team of sophomore Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill), Broder, sophomore Ryan Akhavan (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) and junior Colin Cassady (Phoenix, Md./Calvert Hall) swam a time of 1:42.76 and finished just over two seconds behind Washington College's 'A' relay team.
- First-year Andrew Scott (California, Md./Leonardtown) took home two second-place finishes as Scott swam a 10:06.48 in the 1,000 freestyle and a 4:55.64 in the 500 freestyle, just missing top honors by 27-hundredths of a second.
- Cassady also took home a second-place finish in the 100 freestyle with a time of 50.00 as he was edged out of first-place by 48-hundredths of a second. He also claimed a third-place finish in the 50 freestyle in 22.45.
- Orban joined in with a second-place finish as well in the 100 backstroke with a time of 56.29, falling shy of first-place 49-hundredths of a second.
- The Seahawks placed third in the 200 freestyle relay in 1:33.98 behind the efforts of Akhavan, junior Reed Rhoads (Westminster, Md./Winter Mills), Scott, and first-year Nate Donoghue (Lanham, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt).
- Donoghue paced St. Mary's in the 200 freestyle with a fourth-place finish in 1:54.17 while Akhavan landed fourth in the 100 butterfly in 57.31.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 18 at McDaniel College (0-2) – Westminster, Md. – 1:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks