For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team saw their four-game win streak snapped Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's (8-2-2, 1-1-0 CAC) suffered a 5-1 setback at the hands of No. 7 University of Mary Washington (8-0-2, 2-0-0 CAC) in its first home Capital Athletic Conference match of the season.
St. Mary' 1, No. 7 Mary Washington 5
How It Happened
- Shots for the match finished equal at 11 apiece while St. Mary's posted a 7-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- Mary Washington staked a 3-0 halftime advantage behind goals from Justin Carey at 20:47, Idrissa Barrie at 25:06 and Noah Mazzatenta at 38:37.
- Junior forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) helped the Seahawks avoid their first shutout loss of the season and cut the deficit to 3-1 at 76:23. First-year defender Jacob Breslauer (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) served a diagonal pass into the box where Balogun controlled it and found the back of the net for his 10th score of the year.
- After picking up an assist in the first half, Hokenson collected a long pass from Justin Carey and dribbled in for his first tally of 2018 at 83:53.
- A misplayed clear fell at the feet of Ben Ahearns who took it in for his first goal of the season in the 90th minute.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Balogun (1 goal); Breslauer (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Patrick Paolini (5 saves, 5 goals allowed, 90:00)
For Mary Washington
- Scorers: Hokenson (1 goal, 1 assist); Carey (1 goal, 1 assist); Barrie (1 goal); Mazzatenta (1 goal); Ahearns (1 goal); Joshua Everard (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Ken Kurtz (6 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- Mary Washington improves to 41-4-3 in the series, including two consecutive wins.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 10 at Salisbury (8-1-2, 1-0-1 CAC) – Salisbury, Md. – 4:00 p.m.
- Salisbury leads the series 29-8-3 but the Seahawks have won the last two matchups.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks