For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Buena Vista, Va. – Junior forward Josh McRobie (Crofton, Md./Arundel) found the back of the net twice Saturday night in leading the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team to a dominant conference win. The Seahawks (7-1-2, 1-0-0 CAC) posted a 6-0 shutout over the host Southern Virginia University Knights (1-9-0, 0-1-0 CAC) to kick off Capital Athletic Conference action.
St. Mary's 6, Southern Virginia 0
How It Happened
- St. Mary's, who ranks eighth in the South Atlantic region, fired off 25 shots in 90 minutes while limiting the Knights to three. The Seahawks also garnered an 11-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- Scoring started early for St. Mary's as sophomore defender Andrew Kalinoski (Lusby, Md./Patuxent) finished off a corner kick from first-year defender Jacob Breslauer (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) at 3:30 for his first career goal.
- Junior midfielder Anoi Hindle (Huntingtown, Md./Huntingtown) doubled the lead for the Seahawks with his second of the season as Hindle put back the rebound from his own blocked shot at 16:53.
- Sophomore forward Roshawn Panton (Bowie, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt) netted his second of the year as well as Panton took a feed from sophomore forward Isaac Ekobo (Hyattsville, Md./Thomas Stone) to give St. Mary's a 3-0 lead at 27:44.
- McRobie sent his team into halftime with a 4-0 advantage as he tallied his first of the night off an assist by first-year midfielder Aidan Kelley (Salisbury, Md./James M. Bennett).
- Jacob Solis made two saves in the final 36 seconds of the half to keep it at 4-0 in St. Mary's favor.
- McRobie struck again in the 61st minute with his team-leading seventh tally of the season.
- Kelley picked up his second assist of the game when he fed senior defender Pascal Iraola (Kensington, Md./Bethesda Chevy Chase) for Iraola's second of 2018 at 71:27.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: McRobie (2 goals); Kalinoski (1 goal); Hindle (1 goal); Panton (1 goal); Iraola (1 goal); Kelley (2 assists); Breslauer (1 assist); Ekobo (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Patrick Paolini (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 90:00) – Second shutout of the season
For Southern Virginia
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeepers: Solis (9 saves, 4 goals allowed, 45:00); Kostner Olson (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 45:00)
- St. Mary's improves to 6-0 all-time against the Knights, outscoring SVU, 32-4, in those games.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 2 vs. Catholic (4-4-0) – Seahawk Stadium – 4:00 p.m.
- Catholic leads the series 23-17-3, including winning 2-0 last fall in Washington, D.C. The Seahawks' last win over the Cardinals was a 1-0 overtime triumph on September 14, 2016 in D.C.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks