For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Junior forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) tallied a goal and two assists as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team returned to the win column Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's (5-1-2), who landed sixth in this week's South Atlantic region rankings, rolled to a 6-0 shutout of DeSales University (4-3-1).
St. Mary's 6, DeSales 0
How It Happened
- The Seahawks used three goals in each half and goalkeepers Patrick Paolini (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) and Kyle Berkowitz (Riva, Md./South River) combined for the team's fourth shutout of the season.
- St. Mary's dominated the game with a 25-7 shot advantage and a 6-3 edge in corner kicks.
- Junior forward Josh McRobie (Crofton, Md./Arundel) started the scoring for St. Mary's with his fifth of the season in the 22nd minute, splitting two defenders after receiving a long pass from junior midfielder Anoi Hindle (Huntingtown, Md./Huntingtown).
- The Seahawks went up 2-0 in the 33rd minute when Balogun made good on a free kick from 20 yards out for his team-leading seventh goal of the season.
- St. Mary's headed into halftime with a 3-0 advantage after junior midfielder Brad Moore (Crofton, Md./South River) found the back of the net with four minutes left in the half off an assist from Balogun.
- Less than five minutes into the second period, sophomore forward Roshawn Panton (Bowie, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt) netted his first goal as a Seahawk. Panton tapped in a cross from Balogun at the far post.
- Senior defender Pascal Iraola (Kensington, Md./Bethesda Chevy Chase) picked up his first career goal at 74:26 as Iraola converted a penalty kick for the 5-0 lead.
- Sophomore forward Isaac Ekobo (Hyattsville, Md./Thomas Stone) notched his second of 2018 in the 87th minute after chest-trapping the ball and bicycle-kicking it into the top right corner.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Balogun (1 goal, 2 assists); McRobie (1 goal); Moore (1 goal); Panton (1 goal); Iraola (1 goal); Ekobo (1 goal); Hindle (1 assist)
- Goalkeepers: Paolini (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 81:29); Berkowitz (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 8:31)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeepers: TJ Corcoran (2 saves, 4 goals allowed, 53:18); Jake McKinney (5 saves, 2 goals allowed, 36:42)
- Today's victory breaks a 1-1 draw in the series history. DeSales (formerly known as Allentown) won the first meeting 2-0 in 1984 before the Seahawks answered back with a 1-0 triumph in 1994.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 24 at Washington Adventist (2-2) – Takoma Park, Md. – 5:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's and Washington Adventist have met on seven previous occasions when WAU was Columbia Union College. The Seahawks won all seven meetings and outscored them, 39-6.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks