For Immediate Release · Saturday, September 8, 2018 · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Sophomore forward Isaac Ekobo (Hyattsville, Md./Thomas Stone) propelled the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team to a 3-2 overtime victory Saturday afternoon on the first day of the Seahawk Classic. The Seahawks (2-0-2) rallied from a 2-0 deficit for the come-from-behind win over Virginia Wesleyan University (0-4-0).
St. Mary's 3, Virginia Wesleyan 2 (OT)
How It Happened
- Ekobo stretched St. Mary's unbeaten streak to four straight when he finished off a pass from junior forward Josh McRobie (Crofton, Md./Arundel) for his third career game-winning goal with 1:55 remaining in the first extra frame.
- Virginia Wesleyan struck first just before halftime when the Marlins earned a penalty kick and Evan Kastetter converted it for a 1-0 VWU lead at 41:36.
- The Marlins went up 2-0 in the 62nd minute with an own goal as Devin Wallace's throw-in hit off the near post and then found the back of the net after deflecting off junior goalkeeper Cristian Reyes (Gaithersburg, Md./Gaithersburg).
- VWU, who was limited to five shots for the game, prepared to hold on for its first win of the season behind Griffin Potter and his five saves.
- Junior forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) had other ideas as Balogun netted two goals in a 1:20-minute span during the final five minutes of regulation.
- He booted a free kick from outside the box, which deflected off the wall and over a diving Potter to cut the Marlins' to 2-1 at 85:59. Balogun then connected on his fourth career penalty kick goal at 87:19 for the equalizer.
- McRobie tried to win for the Seahawks in the waning seconds but his shot was blocked.
- St. Mary's finished the game with a 20-5 shot advantage, including 11 shots in the second half, and a 5-2 edge in corner kicks.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Balogun (2 goals); Ekobo (1 goal); McRobie (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Reyes (1 save, 2 goals allowed, 98:05)
For Virginia Wesleyan
- Scorers: Kastetter (1 goal); Team (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Griffin Potter (7 saves, 3 goals allowed, 98:05)
- St. Mary's closed the gap in the series with Virginia Wesleyan with its second straight win over the Marlins. VWU's series advantage drops to 7-3-2.
- In other Seahawk Classic action, Salisbury University (3-1) tallied a 1-0 win over Bridgewater (Va.) College (3-1) behind a goal by Ryan Spadin in 57th minute.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 9 vs. Bridgewater (Va.) (3-1) – Seahawk Stadium (Seahawk Classic) – 4:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's owns a 6-3-2 record over Bridgewater, including winning the last three meetings.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks