For Immediate Release · Friday, August 31, 2018 · firstname.lastname@example.org
Salisbury, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team earned a season-opening tie Friday afternoon as junior forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) put them on the scoreboard in their first game of the Elmer Lord Memorial Classic at Salisbury University. However, St. Mary's (0-0-1) and Moravian (0-0-1) ended up in a 1-1 draw in a weather-shortened game.
The two sides played a full 45-minute first half but then only had a 25-minute second period, which was enough time to make it an official game in the eyes of the NCAA, due to threatening storms and impending darkness. At least 70 minutes must be played for an NCAA soccer match to be considered official.
St. Mary's 1, Moravian 1
How It Happened
- St. Mary's outshot the Greyhounds, 12-0, in the first half and earned four corner kicks but Michael Bone made five stops to keep the game scoreless in the first 45 minutes.
- The first delay of the game, which started at 4:35 p.m., came with 4:13 left in the first stanza because of consistent thunder and lightning in the area. With darkness approaching, the game was then moved to the lighted intramurals turf field and resumed at 8:22 p.m. The two teams finished out the first half, swapped sides, and played for 25 more minutes to make it official.
- The Seahawks struck first after the contest resumed when Balogun nailed a free kick from five yards outside the penalty box.
- With 10 minutes remaining in regulation, Moravian responded with a free kick of its own for the equalizer. Ethan Blakely took a free kick from the right sideline, which bounced through the Seahawk defenders and found the back of the net.
For the Seahawks (0-0-1)
- Scorers: Balogun (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Patrick Paolini (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
- St. Mary's fired off 14 shots (six on goal) and garnered all four of its corner kicks in the first half.
For Moravian (0-0-1)
- Scorers: Blakely (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Bone (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
- The Greyhounds had only four shots (two on goal) and three corners.
- This was just the second-ever meeting between the Seahawks and Moravian. St. Mary's won the first meeting in 2000 by a 3-1 decision in Baltimore, Md.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 1 vs. Hobart (1-0) – Salisbury, Md. (Elmer Lord Memorial Classic) – 1:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's and Hobart have never played each other.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks