For Immediate Release · Tuesday, September 5, 2017 · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – First-year forward Isaac Ekobo (Hyattsville, Md./Thomas Stone) helped the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team to their second straight victory with his first career goal. The Seahawks picked up a 1-0 non-conference win over Washington College Tuesday afternoon.
St. Mary's (Md.) 1, Washington College 0
How It Happened
- St. Mary's dominated the action from the opening whistle, notching 22 shots to the Shoremen's 10.
- The Seahawks outshot Washington College, 12-3, and posted a 7-0 margin in corner kicks in the first 45 minutes.
- The Shoremen backline stood strong as Josh Samuels came up with three stops and preserved the scoreless draw heading into halftime.
- The action was back-and-forth in the second half as Washington College picked up its offensive momentum to keep pace with St. Mary's.
- Seahawk Stadium seemed destined to experience its third straight overtime contest until Ekobo finally broke through in the 86th minute. Fellow first-year forward Tyler Kurack (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) sent in a cross from the left side into the middle of the box where Ekobo one-timed his shot right down the middle of the goal.
For the Seahawks (2-1)
- Scorers: Ekobo (1 goal); Kurack (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Zack Haussler (3 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's finished the contest with 22 shots (five on goal) and 13 corner kicks.
For Washington (0-2)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Josh Samuels (4 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- The Shoremen tallied 10 shots (three on goal) and two corner kicks.
- Today's victory moves seventh-year head Alun Oliver '04 into a tie for second all-time with 49 coaching victories. Coach Oliver has equaled his former coach and mentor, Eric Wagner, who coached at St. Mary's from 1997 to 2001 and finished with a 49-42 record in five seasons.
- The Seahawks improve to 5-7-3 against Washington College and have now won two straight over the Shoremen.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 9 vs. Oglethorpe University (2-0) – Seahawk Soccer Classic – Seahawk Stadium – 2:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER, #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer, #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks