For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Elizabethtown, Pa. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team dropped a 10-5 non-conference decision to Elizabethtown College on Saturday afternoon despite a pair of career performances on defense by senior captain Conner Campbell (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) and sophomore defenseman Cristian Quiroa (Simi Valley, Calif./Thousand Oaks).
- Records: St. Mary's (1-2), Elizabethtown (2-0)
- Location: Elizabethtown, Pa. – Wolf Field
How It Happened
- After St. Mary's drew first blood with a man-up goal by junior midfielder Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton) at 12:12, the Blue Jays rattled off three straight to lead 3-1 at 3:20. First-year attackman Ben Claffee (Forest Hill, Md./Fallston) cut the deficit to one over a minute later but E-town got it back with under a minute left in the first quarter.
- A pair of Blue Jay goals in the second period sandwiched junior midfielder Marshall Rhodes' (Potomac, Md./Churchill) third tally of the season and gave E-town a 6-3 advantage at halftime.
- Each team had a goal in the third stanza, including Claffee's team-best second score of the day at 9:34.
- The Blue Jays opened up the final quarter of play with three in a row for a six-goal cushion with less than eight minutes to go.
Inside the Box Score
- Claffee paced the Seahawks with season-bests of two goals and three points while junior midfielder Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn) put up season-bests of seven face-off wins and four ground balls.
- Campbell forced a career- and game-best seven Blue Jay turnovers with four ground balls while Quiroa grabbed career-highs of five ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- In goal, junior goalkeeper Ross Snodderly (Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) picked up nine saves, including eight in the first quarter.
- Scott Nizolak, who tallied a first-half hat trick, finished with four goals while Mike DiGenova chipped in two and two. Jack Myers collected a dozen stops, including seven over the final 15 minutes of play.
- Shots: St. Mary's 30, Elizabethtown 34
- Ground Balls: St. Mary's 25, Elizabethtown 33
- Face-Off Wins: St. Mary's 7, Elizabethtown 10
- Extra-Man Opportunities: St. Mary's 1-6, Elizabethtown 0-2
- Saves: St. Mary's 9, Elizabethtown 12
- Caused Turnovers: St. Mary's 13, Elizabethtown 9
- Turnovers: St. Mary's 17, Elizabethtown 21
- Penalties: St. Mary's 2 for 2:00, Elizabethtown 7 for 5:00
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 28 at Washington College (1-1) – Chestertown, Md. – Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium – 4:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks