For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team received five goals each from sophomore attackmen Steve Jones (Cockeysville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) and Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) but St. Mary's came up short, 18-15, to Southern Virginia University. Today's contest marked the CAC opener for the Seahawks.
St. Mary's 15, Southern Virginia 18
How It Happened
- Southern Virginia scored first but the Seahawks put together a 5-1 run, including getting a hat trick from Groen, to hold a 5-2 lead after one quarter of play.
- The tables turned in the second period as St. Mary's netted the first two goals of the stanza before the Knights went on a 7-1 tear to claim a 9-8 halftime lead. A pair of hat tricks by juniors Casey Rich (Buffalo, N.Y./Amherst Central) and Anthony Good (The Woodlands, Texas/The Woodlands) powered Southern Virginia's rally.
- Southern Virginia continued to bolster its lead with another seven-goal performance in the third quarter, holding a 16-11 advantage through 45 minutes of play.
- St. Mary's, who tallied the last goal of the third with 14 seconds left on the clock, opened up the final period with four more unanswered goals to pull with one at 6:11. The Knights responded with two scores in a 55-second span to stretch their lead to 18-15 at 4:29.
- The Seahawks generated three more shots with two being turned away by sophomore goalie Ian Arave (Cypress, Texas/Cypress Woods).
For St. Mary's (0-8, 0-1 CAC)
- Groen paced St. Mary's with a team-best seven points on a career-best five goals and two assists while Jones contributed a career-high five ground balls to go along with his five goals.
- Senior captain Mike Becraft (Rockville, Md./Good Counsel) chipped in career-bests of two goals and three points.
- Sophomore midfielders Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn) and Tilghman Meiser (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) combined for 20-of-37 face-off wins. Bucci won 13 and scooped up a game-best seven ground balls.
- Senior defenseman Javier Flores (Hyde Park, Mass./Concord-Carlisle) led the defensive effort with career-bests of seven ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Senior captain Max Alderman (Lutherville, Md./Calvert Hall) tallied 10 saves.
- St. Mary's outshot the Knights, 57-42, and won the ground ball battle, 39-30.
For Southern Virginia (4-3, 3-0 CAC)
- Scorers (G-A): Good (8-0), Rich (5-2), Shawn Lamb (2-5), Spencer Tunick (2-1), Logan Lund (1-1), Ryan Larsen (0-1), Brady Cook (0-1), Tyler Drennen (0-1)
- Goalie: Arave (17 saves, 15 GA, 60:00)
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will be idle for a week before returning to the field next Saturday, March 25 on the road at Wesley College (4-5, 0-1 CAC) in Dover, Delaware. First face-off at 1:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax