For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team played their first game in Seahawk Stadium Wednesday afternoon, hosting the Washington College Shoremen in the home-opener. St. Mary's claimed a third quarter lead but a late surge by the Shoremen kept WC undefeated with a 14-8 non-conference victory.
St. Mary's 8, Washington College 14
How It Happened
- Washington College, who received votes in this week's USILA/Nike Division III Coaches Poll, scored the first two goals of the game before senior captain Brendan Steele (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) put the Seahawks on the board. The Shoremen took a 3-1 lead into the second quarter following a goal with five seconds left.
- In the second period, each team notched a goal and WC staked a 4-2 halftime advantage.
- St. Mary's rattled off three straight to tally its first lead of the game, 5-4, at 13:36. Senior captain Mike Becraft (Rockville, Md./Good Counsel) had a goal and an assist in the run. Junior attackman Tyler Powers (Duxbury, Mass.) stopped the run with his third score of the afternoon and knotted the game at 5-5.
- Sophomore midfielder Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton) returned a one-goal lead to the Seahawks with a man-up goal at 6:52 before Washington College closed out the third with three unanswered goals in three minutes for an 8-6 lead heading into the fourth quarter.
- The Shoremen would stretch their run to 5-0 with two goals to start the fourth and ended up outscoring St. Mary's, 6-2, in the stanza to lock up the 14-8 win.
For St. Mary's (0-4)
- LaPlaca paced the Seahawks with career-bests of two assists and three points while Steele finished two goals.
- Sophomore midfielder Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn) led St. Mary's to 18-of-26 face-off wins as Bucci went 16-of-22 at the X with a game-best eight ground balls. He also added a goal.
- Junior defenseman Conner Campbell (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) anchored the Seahawk defense with career-bests of eight ground balls and four caused turnovers.
- Senior captain Max Alderman (Lutherville, Md./Calvert Hall) recorded 11 saves and two ground balls.
- As a team, the Seahawks edged Washington College in ground balls, 35-32.
For Washington College (3-0)
- Scorers (G-A): Powers (4-0), Tanner Barbieri (3-1), Trey Ritter (2-2), Cooper Sloan (2-0), Peter Jacobs (1-1), Charles Walker (0-2), Kevin Trapp (1-0), Cole Handy (1-0), Alex Washington (0-1), Casey Grieves (0-1)
- Goalie: Ben Flood (11 saves, 8 GA, 60:00)
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will get back on the road for its next game this Saturday, March 4 when the Seahawks travel to Lynchburg, Virginia, to take on Randolph College (0-1) at 5:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax