For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Brooklandville, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team did not get the result they wanted in their 2017 season-opener Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's suffered a tough 21-5 setback at the hands of Dickinson College, who received votes in the USILA/Nike Preseason Coaches Poll. The game was played at St. Paul's School, which is second-year head coach Jason Childs' high school alma mater.
St. Mary's 5, Dickinson 21
How It Happened
- Dickinson staked a 6-0 lead in the first quarter behind a hat trick from junior midfielder Dylan Maher (Ridgefield, Conn./Ridgefield).
- St. Mary's finally got on the board in the second period as senior captain Brendan Steele (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park), junior attacker Dan Long (Mechanicsville, Md./St. Mary's Ryken), and sophomore midfielder Connor Benhoff (Baltimore, Md./Dulaney) all found the back of the net.
- The Seahawks headed into halftime trailing Dickinson, 12-3.
- The Red Devil defense shut out St. Mary's once again in the third while the Dickinson attack put up four unanswered goals for a 16-3 advantage through three quarters.
- First-year attackman Shane Moore (Ocean City, Md./Stephen Decatur) broke up DC's 5-0 run with his first collegiate goal with 12:58 left in the game.
- Sophomore midfielder Ray LaPlaca's (Owings, Md./Calverton) first goal of the season was bookended by a pair of Red Devil goals on either side.
For St. Mary's (0-1)
- Sophomore midfielder Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn) led the Seahawks with eight face-off wins, including winning 5-of-9 in the second stanza, and four ground balls.
For Dickinson (1-0)
- Scorers (G-A): Maher (6-0), Tucker Carney (2-1), Brodie Phillips (2-1), John Lockwood (0-3), Tyler Strods (2-0), Nick Goles (2-0), Corey Richards (2-0), Alex Hosker (2-0), Jack O'Connell (0-2), Alec Beauchemin (1-0), Nate Usich (1-0), Ben Levin (1-0), Tyler Llewellyn (0-1), Chase Phillips (0-1), Mike Cherry (0-1), John Patterson (0-1), Andrew Eckert (0-1)
- Goalies: Andrew Jones (5 saves, 4 GA, 49:19); Michael Marinelli (0 saves, 1 GA, 10:41)
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will look to get back on track on Wednesday, March 22 when the Seahawks travel to St. Davids, Pa., to take on Eastern University (0-1) in non-conference action at 4:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax