For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Jamaica, N.Y. – Four starters reached double digits in scoring as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team held on for the win Friday night at the York (N.Y.) College Invitational. St. Mary's (3-6) advanced to the tournament championship game with an 82-80 triumph over Saint Vincent College (8-2), snapping the Bearcats' five-game win streak.
The host York Cardinals were an 85-65 winner over Clark Summit University, earning the right to face the Seahawks in the tournament championship game at 3:00 p.m. Clark Summit (0-10) will take on Saint Vincent in the consolation game at 1:00 p.m.
St. Mary's 82, Saint Vincent 80
How It Happened
- It was a tale of two halves as St. Mary's dominated the first half, staking a 51-35 halftime advantage on 20-of-32 shooting from the field, before the Bearcats came out firing over the final 20 minutes.
- The Seahawks jumped out to a 7-0 lead before opening up a 21-6 advantage at 13:42 on a three-point shot by first-year guard Zach Spooner (Washington, D.C./St. John's College).
- A pair of Tom Kromka free throws closed the gap to 25-18 at the 10-minute mark but SVC would get no closer as St. Mary's ended the half by outscoring the Bearcats, 26-17.
- Saint Vincent connected on nearly 54-percent of its shots in the second stanza as the Bearcats outscored the Seahawks, 45-30, pulling within one on a David Stephen three-pointer with 18 seconds on the clock. Seven of the Bearcats' 11 triples fueled the second-half comeback attempt.
- Junior guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) made the second of two foul shots to give St. Mary's a two-point edge with nine ticks remaining. The Bearcats immediately turned the ball over to seal their fate.
Inside the Box Score
- This was the second straight game St. Mary's has shot over 50-percent from the field as the Seahawks finished at 52.6-percent (30-of-57) with seven three-pointers.
- Junior forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md. /Clear Spring) posted his third straight 20-point game as Schultz tallied a game-best 23 points on 10-of-21 shooting. He added four rebounds, two assists, and two blocks as well.
- Juniors Justin Milstead (Fort Washington, Md./IDEA), Phil Newsome (Mitchellville, Md./Potomac), and Reggie Rouse (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) all notched 13 points in the win while Ayoub finished the night with 11. Rouse paced the Seahawks with six boards.
- Kromka led Saint Vincent with a double-double of 20 points and a game-high 10 caroms as he went 10-of-13 at the charity stripe.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 15 at York (N.Y.) (4-6) – Jamaica, N.Y. – Tournament Championship – 3:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks