For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 52, Christopher Newport 76
- Records: St. Mary's (1-6, 0-3 CAC), Christopher Newport (5-2, 2-1 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. – O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: Senior guard Donovan Robinson (Cheverly, Md./North Point) tallied a season-best 12 points in defeat as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team fell 76-52 to Christopher Newport University for their sixth loss in a row on Wednesday night. The Seahawks drop to 1-6 overall and 0-3 in Capital Athletic Conference action.
How It Happened
- After senior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) notched the first basket of the game at 19:37, St. Mary's would not lead again until 4:28 (25-24) following a three-point play by sophomore forward Darick Kerns (Cumberland, Md./Allegany) to cap an 8-2 run.
- It was all Christopher Newport from that point on as the Captains closed out the half on a 13-4 run to post a 37-29 halftime lead.
- The Seahawks would get no closer than eight twice in the second half as a three-point play by first-year forward Kevin Makle (Finksburg, Md./Randallstown) pulled them within eight at 16:18 as well as a Robinson layup at 12:42.
- CNU would outscore the hosts, 25-9, the rest of the way to secure its second CAC win of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- Robinson came off the bench to lead St. Mary's in scoring with his season-best 12 points on a career-best six field goals made while Makle finished with nine points, three rebounds, and a season-best two blocks.
- Kerns contributed a season-high seven points, four boards, and a career- and game-best three blocks in 13 minutes of action.
- Senior wing LaVonte' Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) chipped in a team-high six caroms, three points, and two assists.
- Aaron McFarland, who ranks second in the CAC in scoring with a 21.2 average, paced the Captains with 22 points of 5-of-7 shooting from downtown while Spencer Marin added 19 points and a game-best nine rebounds off the bench.
- Christopher Newport earned 23 points off of 16 Seahawk turnovers, came up with 13 second chance points to St. Mary's four, and registered a 39-25 advantage in rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 9 at Frostburg State University (4-3, 2-1 CAC) – Frostburg, Md. – CAC game – 3:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks