Posted: Feb 11, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 75, Frostburg State 70
- Records: St. Mary's (12-11, 7-9 CAC), Frostburg State (6-17, 5-11 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: It was the tale of two halves Saturday afternoon as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team rallied from a 19-point first half deficit and came away with the win. The Seahawks posted a 75-70 Capital Athletic Conference victory to extend their win streak to two and split the season series with Frostburg State University.
- Senior Delaszo Smith (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) was recognized prior to tip-off for his three years on the Seahawk men's basketball program.
What It Means
- St. Mary's moves into a three-way tie with Marymount (Va.) University (10-13, 7-9 CAC) and Wesley College (9-14, 7-9 CAC) for fourth in the conference standings with Salisbury University (19-4, 14-2 CAC) and Southern Virginia University (4-19, 2-14 CAC) left to play in the regular-season.
How It Happened
- Frostburg State was hot in the first half, shooting 58.1-percent from the field to the Seahawks' 25.7-percent.
- St. Mary's went without a field goal (0-for-13) for the first 10 minutes of the game until junior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) snapped the drought to make it a 13-point game.
- After the Seahawks' first field goal of the game, FSU used a 15-9 push to establish its biggest lead of the game, 34-15, at 4:47 and went on to stake a 41-28 advantage at the break.
- Bynum led St. Mary's at intermission with eight points.
- St. Mary's brought the defensive pressure and flipped the script in the second half as the Seahawks outscored Frostburg, 47-29, over the final 20 minutes.
- The Seahawks put together a 31-16 run over an 11:37-minute span to claim their first lead of the game at 6:45 (59-57) following a three-point play by junior forward Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake).
- An 8-1 run, including five straight points from first-year guard Lawrence Pettis, Jr. (Baltimore, Md.), helped the Bobcats reclaim the lead with 3:25 left in the game.
- Smith and Craft combined for nine points in a 15-5 run to close out the victory as junior wing LaVonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) punctuated the run with a dunk with five ticks on the clock.
Inside the Box Score
- Craft led a balanced attack for the Seahawks with season-bests of 13 points five field goals made while grabbing five rebounds.
- Bynum finished the day with 11 points, five assists, and four boards.
- St. Mary's will continue its playoff push on Wednesday, February 15 when No. 12 Salisbury University comes to town. Tip-off is 8:00 p.m. The last time around, then-No. 19 Salisbury earned a 64-59 victory on its home court on November 30.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb