Posted: Feb 04, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 61, No. 3 Christopher Newport 88
- Records: St. Mary's (10-11, 5-9 CAC), No. 3 Christopher Newport (19-2, 13-1 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team did not have an answer for the inside play of No. 3 Christopher Newport University Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's dropped an 88-61 loss in Capital Athletic Conference action, giving CNU the sweep in the season series. First-year guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) extended his streak of consecutive double-digit scoring games to 13 with a team-best 18 points.
What It Means
- St. Mary's remains in eighth place in the conference standings and one game back off the playoff picture.
How It Happened
- Christopher Newport opened up the game on an 11-0 run before the Seahawks countered with 20-15 push to pull within six with 7:07 remaining in the half.
- St. Mary's would get no closer as the Captains closed out first half on a 22-2 run to stake a commanding 48-22 halftime advantage.
- Ayoub paced the Seahawks at the break with six points on the strength of 2-of-2 shooting from downtown while junior forward Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) grabbed four rebounds.
- The Captains continued their hot shooting in the second half, connecting on 57.1-percent of their shots and outscoring St. Mary's once again, 26-8, in the paint.
- CNU used a 16-3 run to start the final 20 minutes, giving the Captains their biggest lead of 39 points at the 15:02-minute mark.
Inside the Box Score
- Ayoub went 4-for-4 from downtown and 6-of-7 at the free throw line in securing his 18 points.
- Junior captain Delaszo Smith (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) contributed 10 points as Smith went 5-of-6 at the charity stripe.
- St. Mary's will look to keep its playoff hopes alive by sweeping the University of Mary Washington (10-11, 6-8 CAC) down in Fredericksburg, Virginia, on Wednesday, February 8. Tip-off is 8:00 p.m. In their previous meeting on December 7, St. Mary's pulled out an 83-74 overtime win in front of its home crowd.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb