Feb 01, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 66, York 81
- Records: St. Mary's (10-10, 5-8 CAC), York (13-7, 8-5 CAC)
- Location: York, Pa. · Charles Wolf Gymnasium
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team could not overcome the strong first-half play of York College of Pennsylvania in an 81-66 road loss Wednesday night. Junior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) tallied a game-best 18 points to pace the Seahawks in the loss.
What It Means
- St. Mary's now sits in eighth place in the conference standings and are currently one game back of the playoff picture.
How It Happened
- York shot 52.9-percent from the field in the first half, including 8-of-17 (47.1%) from downtown, in establishing a 46-29 halftime advantage.
- Bynum notched 12 of his game-best 18 points in the first half on 3-of-7 shooting, including 2-of-3 from behind the three-point arc. The Seahawks posted a 21-18 edge in rebounding as wings LaVonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) and Phil Newsome (Mitchellville, Md./Potomac) each grabbed four boards.
- St. Mary's outscored the Spartans, 37-35, in the second half and the Seahawks closed the gap to 47-35 at 17:16 on a layup by junior wing Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) but the team would get no closer.
Inside the Box Score
- In addition to his 18 points, Bynum contributed a game- and season-best six steals plus four rebounds.
- Along with Bynum, first-year guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) also scored in double-digits with a dozen on 4-of-9 shooting, including a pair of three-pointers, and added six caroms and a season-best three assists.
- Craft finished the night with a game- and season-best 11 rebounds while chipping in eight points.
- St. Mary's will look to get back in the win column at home this Saturday, February 4 when the Seahawks host No. 3 Christopher Newport University (18-2, 12-1 CAC) in an important CAC tilt at 4:00 p.m. In their previous meeting this season, St. Mary's nearly pulled the upset over then-No. 4 CNU, falling 68-60 in Newport News, Virginia on January 11.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb