Jan 04, 2017
For Immediate Release · Wednesday, January 4, 2017 · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 64, Frostburg State 70
- Records: St. Mary's (7-5, 2-3 CAC), Frostburg State (2-10, 1-4 CAC)
- Location: Frostburg, Md.
- The Short Story: Three Seahawks scored in double figures but the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team still fell to Frostburg State University Wednesday night. St. Mary's suffered a 70-64 Capital Athletic Conference setback at the hands of the host Bobcats in its first game of 2017.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks struck first and claimed a four-point lead four times in the first 5:32-minutes of the game. Juniors Delaszo Smith (Baltimore, Md./Annapolis) and Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) paced St. Mary's in the opening run with four points each.
- Frostburg State took over the game's tempo with a quick 8-0 run behind four points each from juniors Tyler Michael (Cresaptown, Md./Fort Hill) and Christopher Coston (Baltimore, Md./Kenwood).
- The Bobcats withstood a 6-2 Seahawk run, which tied the game twice, and built a nine-point advantage on a Coston dunk with 3:14 left in the half. St. Mary's responded with a 7-2 run to head into halftime down only 35-31.
- Smith and Craft both tallied eight points in the first 20 minutes to pace the Seahawks while Smith and first-year forward Jamal Murphy (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) each grabbed three rebounds.
- After junior guard Donovan Robinson (Waldorf, Md./North Point) pulled St. Mary's within two twice in the opening minutes of the second half, Frostburg went on to boast an 11-point lead on a Michael layup at 9:03 and the Seahawks never recovered.
Inside the Box Score
- Smith paced St. Mary's with a team-best of 19 points on 6-of-10 shooting and 6-of-6 from the free throw line. He also added season-highs of seven rebounds and three blocks plus two steals.
- Craft and first-year guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) both finished the night with 10 points while Craft shared team honors with seven boards and chipped in a season-best three steals.
- Ayoub contributed a season-high three assists as well while Robinson chipped in a season-best six points.
- St. Mary's will continue CAC action this Saturday, January 7 as the Seahawks head to Dover, Delaware to take on Wesley College (5-7, 3-2 CAC). Tip-off is 3:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb