St. Mary's Men's Basketball Snaps Two-Game Skid

Devin Spencer
Devin Spencer

Salisbury, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team ended their two-game losing streak with a 78-75 Capital Athletic Conference victory at Salisbury University Wednesday night behind career performances by guards Devin Spencer (Baltimore, Md./Towson Catholic) and Brendan McFall (Poolesville, Md./Poolesville).

Spencer tallied a career- and game-high 21 points on 4-of-7 shooting from downtown while McFall picked up a career-best 15 and added five rebounds and two steals.  First-year guard Nick LaGuerre (Baltimore, Md./Lansdowne) came off the bench to connect on a season-best three long-range bombs and finish the night with nine points.

St. Mary's (12-5, 6-2 CAC) started off strong, opening up with an 8-0 lead in the first 3:17 of the game and building that advantage into a 17-point (29-12) margin at 5:12 as McFall finished off a layup off a LaGuerre assist.  The host Sea Gulls used a 14-5 run over a 4:21 span to cut the lead to 34-26 with 41 seconds left before Spencer hit a three-point shot to send his team to the locker room with a 37-26 halftime lead.

McFall led all players at the break with eight points while sophomore forward Christian MacAuley (Silver Spring, Md./Paint Branch) pulled down a game-best eight rebounds.

Thanks to a second-half surge in the second by Salisbury (9-7, 2-6 CAC), the Sea Gulls erased a 13-point deficit to claim their first lead of the game at 11:36 as first-year Chris Viqueira (Boyds, Md./Clarksburg) collected a three-point in the 21-7 run.

St. Mary's tied the game five times as the Seahawks battled to regain control of the contest.  The Sea Gulls fought to hold back the visitors' rally, stretching their first advantage of the game to a seven-point margin (72-65) with two minutes to go as senior forward Mike Maczko (Bel Air, Md./John Carroll) connected on a layup.

Six straight points by Spencer in a 16-second span cut the deficit to one at 1:21 while two free throws by junior guard Chris Hutchinson (Owings Mills, Md./New Town) returned the lead to the Seahawks with 39 seconds left.  Spencer's fourth three-pointer of the game 14 seconds later staked a 76-72 lead before Maczko's three-point play pulled the Gulls within one at 00:13.  Spencer made good on two shots from the line a second later to put St. Mary's up by three.  Viqueira missed a potential game-tying three-pointer with two ticks on the clock.

The Seahawks will return to action on Saturday, January 21 as St. Mary's travels to Owings Mills to face Stevenson University (4-12, 1-6 CAC) in its second meeting with the Mustangs.  In the first meeting, the Seahawks notched an 89-81 come-from-behind overtime victory at home behind 20 points from Spencer.