For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Newport News, Va. – Junior goalkeeper Kelbey Egerland (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) made a career-best 11 saves Wednesday night but the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team came up short in Capital Athletic Conference play. The Seahawks (7-6, 1-2 CAC) dropped a 3-0 decision on the road to No. 14 Christopher Newport University (9-4, 2-1 CAC).
St. Mary's 0, Christopher Newport 3
How It Happened
- Christopher Newport outshot the Seahawks, 25-2, and earned an 11-3 margin in penalty corners.
- Both of St. Mary's shots came in the second half as sophomores Emily Pulkowski (Westminster, Md./Westminster) and Meghan Ronan (Odenton, Md./Arundel) were each able to get one off. Both Seahawk shots resulted from penalty corners with Olivia Davis saving Pulkowski's at 40:47 while Ronan's went wide at 45:26.
- Egerland came up with seven first-half saves and senior captain Kara Feidelseit (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) added a defensive save in keeping the Captains to just one first-half goal off the stick of Courtney Fiest in the 10th minute.
- CNU doubled its lead at 43:06 when Fiest struck for her second of the night off a penalty corner inserted by Bailey Miller.
- Rachael Allshouse picked up her fourth score of the season at 55:46 to stretch the Captains' lead to 3-0.
- Christopher Newport fired off three more shots after its third goal with two being blocked and the other turned away by Egerland.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Egerland (12 saves, 3 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Defensive Save: Feidelseit (1) – Second of the season
For Christopher Newport
- Scorers: Fiest (2 goals); Allshouse (1 goal); Miller (1 assist); Nyla Lewis (1 assist); Rachel Cooke (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Olivia Davis (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 70:00)
- CNU moved to 13-2 in the series, which began in 2001, and the Captains have now won nine straight. St. Mary's registered back-to-back wins in 2005 and 2006.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 20 vs. No. 8 Salisbury (12-2, 3-0 CAC) – Jamie L. Roberts Stadium Turf Field (CAC game) – Senior Day – 3:00 p.m.
- The Seahawks are winless against Salisbury as the Sea Gulls own a 28-0 mark in the series since it began in 1994.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks