For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Chestertown, Md. – Senior forward Courtney Mellon (Mt. Airy, Md./Urbana) led the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team to their second straight win Wednesday night. Mellon scored twice as the Seahawks (3-4) tallied a 2-1 non-conference road victory over Washington College (1-8).
St. Mary's 2, Washington College 1
How It Happened
- Washington College posted a 10-7 advantage in shots as well as a 7-4 edge in penalty corners but the Shorewomen lost their second straight.
- Junior goalkeeper Kelbey Egerland (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) notched five saves in holding WC to just one goal.
- Following a scoreless first half, St. Mary's struck first at 42:57 as Mellon put back the rebound of senior defender Brooke Steinhoff's (Frederick, Md./Urbana) shot.
- The Shorewomen evened up the score at 49:09 when Clare Ingersoll poked in a cross from Kailyn Brandt.
- Mellon scored the game-winning goal at 55:47 as she dribbled around two defenders and scored from the right side.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Mellon (2 goals)
- Goalkeeper: Egerland (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
For Washington College
- Scorers: Ingersoll (1 goal); Brandt (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Domanico (2 saves, 2 goals allowed, 70:00)
- The Seahawks move to 8-3 in the series with Washington College, including two wins in a row. The Shorewomen's last win over St. Mary's came in 2011.
- One goal has now decided the last six meetings between the two sides.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 29 at Neumann (3-4) – Aston, Pa. – 12:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's own a 2-0 record against the Knights, winning 4-0 in 2002 and 5-0 last fall.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks