For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Ashland, Va. – First-year Kathleen Stevens (Marion Station, Md./Crisfield Academy) tallied her first career goal Wednesday night but the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team came up short in their second straight one-goal loss Wednesday night. In their first road game of the season, the Seahawks (1-2) dropped a 2-1 decision at Randolph-Macon College (2-0).
St. Mary's 1, Randolph-Macon 2
How It Happened
- All the scoring took place in the second half as St. Mary's was limited to two first-half shots while junior goalkeeper Kelbey Egerland (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) turned away six of the nine Yellow Jacket shots she faced in the first 35 minutes.
- The Seahawks edged Randolph-Macon, 7-4, in shots in the second stanza while penalty corners were even at three apiece.
- R-MC struck first less than three minutes into the start of the second period when Kathleen Tanner finished off a pass from Katie Brookman for the 1-0 Yellow Jacket lead.
- The hosts doubled their lead about nine minutes later behind an unassisted goal by Austyn Faries.
- St. Mary's cut the lead in half at 59:58 when sophomore Meghan Ronan (Odenton, Md./Arundel) fed in a ball from the right towards the goal and Stevens was there to put it in the goal.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Stevens (1 goal); Ronan (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Egerland (6 saves, 0 goals allowed, 35:00); Skylar Limpert (2 saves, 2 goals allowed, 35:00)
- St. Mary's put up nine shots (five on goal) and earned four corners.
- Scorers: Tanner (1 goal); Faries (1 goal); Brookman (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Katie Thompson (3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
- Megan May posted a defensive save three minutes into the game when first-year midfielder Gabrielle Corder (Sudlersville, Md./Queen Anne's County) fired a shot past Thompson off the Seahawks' first penalty corner of the game.
- The Yellow Jackets racked up 13 shots (10 on goal) and seven corners to remain undefeated in 2018.
- St. Mary's advantage in the series dropped to 11-5 as the Yellow Jackets snapped a two-game skid against the Seahawks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 8 at Bridgewater (Va.) (0-2) – Bridgewater, Va. (Jopson Field) – 12:00 p.m.
- Bridgewater leads the series 6-4 and the Eagles have won the last two meetings. St. Mary's last win over BC came on September 19, 2015 in St. Mary's City by a 2-1 count.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks