For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team (1-1) picked up their first loss of the young 2018 season, falling 1-0 to Stevenson University (2-0) in a hard-fought non-conference battle Sunday afternoon.
St. Mary's 0, Stevenson 1
How It Happened
- Much of the action happened in the midfield as the level of play was even across the board.
- In a scoreless first half, shots were even at two apiece while Stevenson edged the Seahawks, 3-2, in penalty corners.
- The Mustangs broke through early in the second stanza as Sara McVey dribbled in towards the center of the circle and then sent a reverse flick just inside the near post at 36:35.
- St. Mary's had a fantastic opportunity to even up the contest about 10 minutes later when, on the Seahawks' third consecutive corner, sophomore Meghan Ronan (Odenton, Md./Arundel) rifled in a shot from the top of the circle which ricocheted off the near post and over the endline.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Kelbey Egerland (4 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
- Senior defender Brooke Steinhoff (Frederick, Md./Urbana) helped keep the Mustangs to one goal with a defensive save in the second half.
- St. Mary's finished with five shots (two on goal) and seven corners, including five in the second half.
- Scorers: McVey (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Kelsey Eure (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 70:00)
- The Mustangs put up nine shots (six on goal) and five corners.
- Stevenson extends its streak to three straight wins over the Seahawks but St. Mary's still holds a 16-7-1 advantage in the series, which began in 1994.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 5 at Randolph-Macon (1-0) – Ashland, Va. – 7:30 p.m.
- St. Mary's owns an 11-4 advantage over the Yellow Jackets, including winning the last two meetings by a 13-2 margin.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks